Marek Sotak talks about giving your clients and site visitors the help they need without sacrificing all your productive time.
jam's Drupal Camp, December 2013 edition - I can't get enough Drupal Camps and I wanted to share some of my favourite sessions and presenters from the Drupal (and open source and business) community with you at regular jam's Drupal Camp events online!
Does this ever happen to you? You hand over a site that you have just built to your client and then the phone starts ringing…
You: Hello, how can I help you?
Customer: I can't login to my site.
You: Are you sure you used the right password? ...
Customer: How do I add an article again?
You: Are you logged in in the admin interface? ...
Customer: The picture I just uploaded looks wrong.
You: What site are you on? Which content type are you editing? Is this for a block? Are you looking at a view or the node?
Customer: um ...
Marek Sotak, founder of Inline Manual [LINK: https://inlinemanual.com/] and longtime Drupal developer faced these situations regularly while building client sites and one day decided enough was enough. He started looking for solutions and interviewed many companies and individuals who build websites.
The feedback and insight he gained into how others handle helping clients and end-users after their projects have launched was valuable. Many have tried screencasts, making manuals filled with screenshots, and other options, but none of them had any proven solution or consistent processes in place. Given the lack of reliable or measurable success, most don't offer documentation at all anymore. Instead, they have given up and simply provide their phone number to their clients. This comes at the cost of being on the phone a lot, and losing productive time when they could be working on their next project.
In this session, we will look at
- the results of Marek's research and experience looking for solutions
- how small UX changes can change user perception and behaviour
-what tools there are that can help make our clients and ourselves more productive
"Lady Mechanika is the newest creator-owned comic book series by Joe Benitez, inspired by the steampunk genre. "Steampunk" is all about re-imagining history, usually combining the elegance of the Victorian Era with more advanced science fiction technology."
Guys like +jtreminio make it easy.
- SLAC National Accelerator LaboratorySr. Drupal developer, 2013 - presentAs part of the Web Solutions team I support and train this great group of professionals to manage and implement Drupal at the enterprise level. Working with vendors and Lab staff, we deliver a consistent approach to communicating the Lab goals and other information about the exciting Science that happens here. Assisted in the implementation of a enterprise web application management system. Assisted in the development of Drupal Installation profiles Developed custom Drupal Web Application functionality for the SLAC Administrative Guide to IT Policy Developed and assisted in the creation of a laboratory wide Drupal Commons implementation with custom views, functionality and look and feel. Leading the way for laboratory wide Service Oriented Architecture initiative
- SLAC Stanford Linear AcceleratorSr. Drupal Developer, 10 - presentAs part of the Web Solutions team I support and train this great bunch of folks to manage and implement Drupal at the enterprise level. Working with vendors and Lab staff we deliver a consistent approach to communicating the Lab goals and information about the exciting Science that happens here.
- Philosophackarist:Conscious and logically shaping the little bits of my world., present
- Aristotle Inc.Sr. Web Developer/DevOps, 2010 - 2013As team lead I focus the energy and passion of the Open Source development team into creating amazing web applications to the exacting standards of Aristotle. In a collaborative environment I endeavour to sharpen our workflows and understanding of Drupal and Wordpress so that we deliver great results with a budget in mind. Rather than assuming a role as hardline taskmaster I feel that the team members have as much to teach me as I do them. I've learned much through working with them as they have with me at the helm. In my time as lead - with the help of other great minds - I have instituted a work flow that utilises git, rsync, drush and bash. This helps to ensure that we have stellar uptime history as well as enabling multiple team members to collaborate on the same project without stepping all over each other. In a development role, I created a web application that uses Instagram to crowdsource images for media campaigns for big names such as Atlantic City, Elvis and Gulf Shores. This application was a labor of love and at times didn't seem like work. Interacting with third party web-services is something I get excited about. There is so much information out there that excites and inspires end users and I want to tinker with it all. Creating great interfaces to interact with that data is one of the most exciting things about the internet! In addition to creating those great apps, I manage the Linux web servers, MYSQL databases and BSD name-servers in an ESXi Virtual Machine environment fulfilling a systems administration role. At DrupalCon Denver I discovered the discipline/focus/culture known as DevOps. I have since voraciously absorbed as much knowledge as I can find.
- BSCN.comSystems Administrator, 2000 - 2003
- UCA.eduTechnician, 2005 - 2008
- ucaecho.netWeb/Opinions Editor, 2006 - 2008
- Pannin/Fleet SafetyTechnician, 2008 - 2010
- Children: I am first and foremost a daddy. They are my bond to sanity and my constant project; people wouldn't like me if I didn't have them as a responsibility.
- Information - it surrounds me and I like new ways to interact with it.
- Electrons and the things that carry them. I am a gadget hound. Never without them.
- Thought - I like to compare, contrast and find the relationships between disparate concepts.
- GraduatedComputer Sci/Philosophy, 2004 - 2008
- Crossy Road
- Sky Force 2014 TV
- Goat Simulator
- Geometry Race
- Turbo Dismount
- DEER HUNTER 2016
- Red Ball 4
I bet Tim Griffin did hustle out to the pipeline oil spill
I think it's worth a separate bit of attention to the pipeline break and crude oil spill, which apparently followed an explosion.
How "Entitlement" is Warping Our Society | The World of Jason HeadsetsDo...
This world owes you NOTHING. You come into this world, just like everyone else, and you have the opportunities to do with your life whatever
Hello, I'm the Doctor: The Royal Mint Collectables
Abominable Snowmen · Abzorbaloff · Adherents Of The Repeated Meme · Adipose · Aggedor · Alpha Centauri · Alzarans · Ambassadors from the Cit
Developer API for Google+: It's coming | Rafe's Radar - CNET News
Google SVP Vic Gundotra: It's inconceivable we don't do an API Read this blog post by Rafe Needleman on Rafe's Radar.
Is there an existing Google+ API ? - Stack Overflow
up vote 2 down vote favorite. Possible Duplicate: Is there already a Google+ API? Is there an existing Google+ API ? I would like to know if