“In spite of all the science and technology in medicine, what we doctors do is more about making educated guesses. Especially in primary care, it's often a matter of playing the probabilities more than providing precise diagnostic information.”
#health #medicine #life
Yet this approach has three related problems. First, a president’s policy decisions influence the economy long after he is gone. Second, every president inherits an economy from his predecessors, whose decisions cast a long shadow."
- University of California, Los AngelesPublic Policy, 2009 - 2011
- University of California, Los AngelesHistory, Public Affairs, 2007 - 2009
- TreePeopleVolunteer Supervisor, 2011 - presentHelp manage volunteers during TreePeople events that involve creating rain gardens, planting native vegetation and trees, restoring the Angeles Forest, maintaining bioswales, and taking care of treesAct as the official photographer for events organized and hosted by TreePeople.
- Los Angeles County Department of Social ServicesCustomer Service Center Eligibility Worker II, 2012 - 2014Help public assistance recipients by answering questions they have about their cases and by working together with case workers in DPSS district offices.Accurately apply DPSS policies to each individual case under review.Explain to program participants the provisions of the various public assistance programs, applicable federal and state regulations, county policies, and legal rights and responsibilities.Document changes made to cases through clear, detailed, and easily-understandable case comments that provide context and guidance for other case workers accessing the same case.
- ProCon.orgResearch Intern, 2012 - 2012Researched and found numerous PRO and CON quotes for a variety of issues that were relevant, current, on point, and authored by experts and influential individuals. The best research quotes were uploaded to the ProCon.org website where they could be accessed by anyone doing research and in need of high-quality sources and commentary.Also compiled high-quality research in a non pro-con format by referencing peer-reviewed academic studies.Updated the ProCon.org website and created new content that was engaging, presented clearly, easily understood, and thoroughly researched.Lead member of a research project about Conservative and Liberal thinking patterns that received over 30,000 views and was referenced by over 500 media organizations, including ABC News and the Reader's Digest.Co-authored a 128 page nonpartisan review that compiled responses from legislators and health care experts to 62 frequently asked questions about Obamacare.
- LA City Mayoral CampaignPolicy and Opposition Researcher Volunteer, 2011 - 2012Conducted research for information on the opposing candidates and provided essential facts and citations for speeches, op-ed pieces, and policy memos.Authored policy briefs on a variety of topics important for the campaign and the candidate's policy platform.Worked remotely and with minimal supervision.
- Los Angeles City CouncilOffice of Public Accountability (OPA) Implementation Intern, 2011 - 2011Researched and made recommendations on the structure of a newly created agency, the OPA.Conducted interviews with LA City Council members, UCLA policy professors, and key individuals such as the Deputy Mayor and officials at the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP). Created a report that was endorsed by Council President Eric Garcetti, referenced in the LA Times, presented to the LA City Council, and used by other interested parties.
- Los Angeles City CouncilEconomic Development and Budgeting Intern, 2010 - 2010
- Sustainable WorksField Representative and Survey Data Analysis Intern, 2010 - 2010Represented Sustainable Works at various Green and Sustainability events in Los Angeles and through social media. Prepared presentation materials for the Green Living Workshop (a 6-week environmental education course). Analyzed survey data and authored a survey analysis guide to be used by future employees.Facilitated the expansion of the Green Living Workshop into cities outside of Santa Monica through research and outreach efforts.
- Los Angeles County Treasurer and Tax CollectorDeputy Public Administrator, 2014 - present-Research the remaining assets of deceased individuals with no known next of kin. Asset research ranges in complexity from individuals with minimal finances to those with property, Wills, Trusts, vehicles, bank accounts, pension funds, stocks, life insurance benefits, and investment accounts. Research also involves communicating with other government agencies and financial institutions to attain confidential financial information. -Conduct extensive research (including finding potential family in other countries) to locate heirs to determine heirship. Such research can involve visiting the deceased individual’s residence and searching through his or her personal property for evidence of heirs and financial assets. These residences are often times in hoarder-like and very poor conditions. -Communicate with attorneys, heirs, claimants and others on the status of estates. -If next of kin are located, tasked with notifying them of the passing of the deceased individual and instructing them on what their responsibilities as the next of kin are. -Communicate with other divisions, departments, and government agencies regarding special problems encountered during the investigation process, such as financial assets being under investigation and property being located outside of California. -Clearly document all actions taken on each case with detailed and easily-understandable notes. -Serve as a source of guidance for all the new staff who have numerous and diverse questions about their job responsibilities. -Consistently go above and beyond required job responsibilities and take on the work of colleagues who are overwhelmed or falling behind.
Google Voice - One phone number, online voicemail, and enhanced call fea...
Google Voice gives you one number for all your phones, voicemail as easy as email, free US long distance, low rates on international calls,
Tesla and Coda: There's Space for Indie EV Car Makers
Making all-electric vehicles is easier if you haven't been building gas guzzlers for the better part of a century: That's the mantra put fir
SENEGAL: Scrambling to Keep Up With Education For All - IPS ipsnews.net
In Diohine, a village of some 3,000 inhabitants in the Fatick region of central Senegal, real progress has been made towards educating all c
Solar realignment could spell decades of cooler temperatures on Earth
Looks like the Sun is up to some more crazy stunts. The website Asahi Shimbun reports that the Sun may soon have four poles, according to re