“‘To take an interesting photo, some may choose to carry around a lot of metal and glass and mirrors and silicon. I choose to carry around less
metal and glass and silicon. Oh, and no mirrors.’ – Me, quoting myself.” – Trey Ratcliff
This was a very fun interview for +This Week in Photo (TWiP)
with +Frederick Van Johnson
When you press play, you can JUMP to the question you want answered by clicking on the right. Here are some questions asked:
- How are you able to get the quality of images you are getting with such a tiny camera?
- What was the impetus behind you deciding to try switching to the NEX?
- Why go with the NEX / APS-C size sensor? Why not go down to the Micro Four Thirds format with a slightly smaller sensor but with a better lens selection?
- What about photographers with clients? Is the perception of carrying a big camera vs small camera an issue?
- Bokeh...Talk about the differences there.
- What are the quality trade-offs?
- Durability...what are some of the differences there?
- I've noticed a different look to your edits since you've started using the mirrorless system. Is this intended or just the way your photos have come naturally?
- Did you find yourself shooting more with the NEX once the firmware update for auto bracketing was released?
- Trey, in your article, you stated you use the NEX6 for day to day and the NEX7 for your epic landscapes. Do you find the NEX7's slow focus the cause for that?
- How do you carry your gear?
- Going back to your Nikons, with companies releasing adapters for lenses for other brands, do you see yourself grabbing a Nikon to NEX speedbooster to use your lenses on your NEX system?
- In your article you mentioned apps on the Sony. Do the new Android cameras like the recently announced Samsung NX1000 excite you in that department?
- Parting thoughts. Regarding advanced amateur photographers, what would you advise them if they've already spent thousands on DSLR gear or not , should they switch to mirrorless?
and lastly but not leastly:
- What would you rather photograph - Tennis or Water Polo?