Freelance Writer and Blogger, 2010 - present
• Founder, editor and contributor for ItBuildsCharacter.com, authoring content and supervising a team of writers.
• Contributor, Everyday Family
• Founding Member and Contributor, SheKnows Experts Among Us
• Contributor, Chicago Parent Blogger Network
• Selected as Cast Member for 2013 Chicago Listen To Your Mother show
• Original Contributor, Just Be Enough
• Former Contributor, ChicagoNow: Plight of the Suburbanite and Parenting without a Parachute
• Former Contributor, Determinators.org
• Featured on sites such as BlogHer, Mamapedia, and authored other guest contributions online.
• Print feature in Chicago Parent, “Lucky 35,” June 2012
• Utilized extensive social media including Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Google+ to generate website traffic. Selected as member of BlogHer Publishing Network, which generated cross-platform page views.
• Collaborated with other sites including ChicagoNow.com in joint marketing efforts and contributing to content.
Chicago Swim School
Marketing Director, 2013 - present
• Manage all aspects of marketing efforts encompassing online and print advertising, social media, digital communications, public relations and promotional events. Oversee marketing budget.
• Perform extensive market research and competitive analysis to facilitate the creation of online and print marketing strategy and manage multifaceted email marketing campaign. Plan and execute event strategy for marketing events.
• Handpicked to take on a newly created Marketing Director role and supervise Community Events Leader. Invigorated new brand message and implemented new strategy.
Communications and Marketing Specialist, 2011 - present
• Served as panelist, Social Media Week Chicago, September 2013 - Reactivating a Brand in the Social Media Age.
• Provide marketing consulting services, writing and social media promotion/advertising to varying companies. Clients have included a national restaurant chain via the PR firm Label-Conscious and several textbook publishing firms.
• Develop unique, search engine optimized content for blogs, websites and other digital media.
• Create selling tools and presentations.
• Build fundraising and project management tools.
The Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
Manager of Corporate and Foundation Relations, 2008 - 2008
• Authored grant proposals and reports to secure funding for organizational initiatives.
• Acted as grant liaison for portfolio of 42 separate programs within Chicago Lighthouse.
• Partnered with local nonprofit organizations to increase organization’s visibility.
American Cancer Society
Income Development Manager, 2003 - 2007
• Presented on panels at the Independent Sector Conference and Kellogg School of Management on online outreach strategies and successes (2004).
• Served as Lead Coordinator on Walk & Roll Chicago, the largest fundraising event for the ACS in Illinois. Led staff at regional offices in creation of satellite Wall & Roll events.
• Revitalized a stagnant Steering Committee of volunteers and secured media sponsors and advertising.
• Developed website, increasing online revenue from $235K in 2003 to $590K in 2007.
• Broke the $1M mark in fundraising in 2007 for the first time in the 37-year history of the event.
• Cultivated a new sponsorship by successfully building new team resources to encourage increased participation.
• Reengineered website to encompass more participant resources and redesigned email campaign to provide information on ACS initiatives and cancer in the news.
• Seamlessly maintained fundraising growth post 9/11 by personalizing the story, keeping the ACS mission relevant and spotlighting local cancer patients and their families.
• Assessed areas needing to be reenergized, targeting specific companies’ participation in need of succession plans and growing the size and scope of the committee allowing greater participant reach into high-risk populations.
Circulation Manager, 2002 - 2003
• Managed 14,000 subscriber database across three trade journals.
The McGraw-Hill Companies
Development Editor, 1999 - 2002
• Earned Star Performer Award for excellence in the Academic textbook market.
• Served as constructive collaborator for up to six titles per year.