- Voxxi.comNational Political Writer, 2012 - presentReporting on national politics, economics, wealth and poverty in America, pop culture and sports...
- Author - The Prince of South Waco: American Dreams and Great ExpectationspresentAUTHOR TONY CASTRO'S latest book, "The Prince of South Waco: American Dreams and Great Expectations," is his touching and provocative coming of age memoir about growing up in Texas in the 1950s and 1960s, that has drawn critical acclaim as "a powerful Gatsbyesque drama of unrequited love driving a youthful passion to succeed at any cost."
- Author - Mickey Mantle: America's Prodigal SonThe New York Times called "Mickey Mantle: America's Prodigal Son" the definitive and best biography ever written on the New York Yankees' Hall of Fame legend who personified mid-20th century America.
- Author - Chicano Power: The Emergence of Mexican AmericaPublishers Weekly hailed "Chicano Power" as "brilliant... a valuable contribution to the understanding of our time."
"Readers who step into Tony's Time Machine, 'The Prince of South Waco,' are in for a thrilling, lyrical ride, a true tale of romantic woes and raucous rebellion that will break readers' hearts," writes Preston Kirk, the former United Press International reporter who covered Texas."Castro's coming-of-age story is a painfully poignant memoir of romance, racism and self-discovery fraught with recollections of lynchings, Jim Crow-ism, no-white-girl speeches, growing up Chicano and excelling as one of the best and brightest of emerging young journalists of his time. 'How do you reclaim your destiny when it has been so connected with a love that has been lost?' asks the author. And therein lies this soulful impasse."
Bob Vickrey, a columnist at the Waco Tribune-Herald writes:
"Tony Castro's honest and powerful memoir captures the essential American story of the struggle for cultural assimilation. The very best stories are written in blood, and in Castro's finely woven personal narrative, the reader can almost feel his heart beating."
Castro is the author of the critically acclaimed and best-selling "Mickey Mantle: America's Prodigal Son" that has been hailed by The New York Times as the best biography about the Hall of Fame baseball legend.
- Harvard UniversityNieman Fellow, 1977
- Baylor UniversityJournalism, 1969