- Self EmployedLawyer, 2013 - presentI provide clients with legal, strategic, policy and organizational advice that will allow them to identify and resolve problems before they become a crisis. Early stage mitigation of risk is the most efficient way to address issues before they divert an organization from its primary ends. However, when a crisis arises rapid steps to effectively stabilize the situation and regain the path are also necessary. I do not do billable hours. My goal is to minimize the crisis not maximize the time spent on its resolution.
- Minister of Public SafetyCounselor, 2010 - 2013Provide political and legal advice to the Minister of Public Safety. Policy lead on all matters related to national security, cyber security, telecommunications and investments affecting Canada's security. Legal advice regarding all matters with Public Safety portfolio (CSIS, CSC, CBSA, RCMP and Public Safety Canada).
- Veterans Review and Appeal BoardMember, 2009 - 2010Decide disability and pension cases relating to injuries suffered by members of the Canadian Forces and RCMP during the course of their service
- Self EmployedLawyer, 2008 - 2009Advised clients on various matters related to legal risk and operations.
- President of Treasury Board of CanadaDirector of Parliamentary Affairs, 2007 - 2008Directed Parliamentary agenda. Responsible for advising with respect to cyber security within government. Provided legal advice with respect to labour relations and government liabilty stemming from pension fund and other cases.
- Attorney General of CanadaDirector of Parliamentary Affairs, 2006 - 2007Responsible for Parliamentary agenda. Responsible for advising with respect to selection and instruction of federal Crown agents. Advised Minister with respect to conduct of major litigation involving the Government of Canada.
- Self EmployedLawyer, 2004 - 2006Advised clients on various matters related to legal risk and operations. Carried out restructuring of client business operations.
- Leader of the OppositionPolitical Advisor, 2003 - 2004Advise with respect to various political matters. Lead advisor on merger of Canadian Alliance and Progressive Conservative Party of Canada. Facilitated merger. Ensured conduct of leadership selection process within 100 days of merger of parties with a membership of over 325,000 eligible voters.
- Burchell MacDougallPartner/Associate, 1994 - 2003Commercial litigator. Represented clients in involvency, taxation, professional responsibility, commercial negligence and other claims before all courts in Nova Scotia.
- Department of National DefenceNaval Officer, 1979 - 1992Anti-Submarine War Officer, Supply Officer, Navigation Officer, Operations Officer and Navigation Instructor.
WPR Article | Strategic Horizons: The Commercialization of Security is O...
It would be easy to dismiss the trajectory of Blackwater’s Erik Prince as a personal drama born from a set of particular historical conditio
CBA National Magazine - Legal education: How's the future looking?
Jordan Furlong on the future for law students and legal education from National Magazine TV on Vimeo. The future of legal education has been
Think You Can Live Offline Without Being Tracked? Here's What It Takes
We asked the most privacy-aware people we could find what it would take to go off the radar. Hint: You're going to need to do more than thro
Captured al Qaeda leader to be tried in United States - The Hill's DEFCO...
Anas al Libi will likely stand trial in the southern district of New York, where he was indicted in embassy bombings. The top al Qaeda leade
NHL14 video game has Toronto Maple Leaf ‘collapse’ cheat code - The Beav...
TORONTO - The famous Toronto Maple Leaf collapse during last year’s playoffs has now been immortalized with a cheat code in EA Sport’s NHL 1
Lawfare’s Coverage of Legal Issues Regarding Military Action in Syria
The situation in Syria being fluid, and our writers having authored a good number of posts on the subject, I thought it might be useful to c
Telco campaign passes off foreign models as concerned Canadians | Ottawa...
In his column today, Andrew Coyne takes some sport with "Cameron," a telephone industry employee concerned about job losses and who is featu
Why Facebook and Google's Concept of "Real Names" Is Revolutionary
The online kingpins version of identity online is a radical departure from what we expect in real life