Any ideas for a solo superhero resources?
4 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 10 previous comments
- Old TSR stuff (I only looked at a few of them, e.g. New York New York):
http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cms/basic-game-and-modules.htmlMar 23, 2016
- Also, this is something rather idiotic I did but never actually used :)
https://solounmondodicarta.wordpress.com/2015/06/08/superhero-plot-die-drop-table/Mar 23, 2016
- So, I got Comic Book Adventures and the first two Mission packs. Haven't read the Missions yet.
CBA is...ok. It has some nice random tools, but I don't think it's for me. A lot of the resolution seems tied to "skill vs. DC" and I want something a bit more organic and action focused. I'm also not a fan of its focus on miniatures and hex based movement for combat. Seriously, like half the pages I purchased are just maps you are supposed to print out and arrange for the fight scenes.
Also, it's very tied to Heroes Wear Masks (unsurprising, as it is a supplement for that game), and not a "generic solo superhero engine" which is what I was really hoping for.
Now, maybe Heroes Wear Masks is an awesome game. I was tempted to grab it, but what I saw really didn't inspire me. First off, I'm not a huge Pathfinder fan (and HWM is a Pathfinder based game)--it's fine, but not preferred system to play D&D with. Now, they have some awesome Adventure Paths, and I'm fine using that system to run/play in those, but otherwise, not for me. Secondly, I ran a number of Mutants & Mastermind games, and the idea of doing D20 to do Supers again just isn't for me.
I also already have the system I want to play with--Heroes Unlimited (yes, yes, mock me all you want--90% of the time it is exactly the game I want). So, I really didn't want to buy another game.
So, I'm working up my character now, and I'll be running it with the classic Mythic GM Emulator, which so far has been amazingly robust for such a simple tool.Mar 23, 2016
- I love that thing. I thought it was rather clever. :)Mar 23, 2016
- Sorry to hear CBA wasn't exactly what you were looking for. I wish I'd remembered sooner having seen those free previews before. I gave them a look this morning & your thoughts echo my impressions, so suspicion confirmed. :(
That said, I still think I'm going to pick up the core book. From what I saw the generators looked good, I like the looks of how they have their "process" structured, & I think one could pull all the useful stuff out & improvise/combine with their tool(s) of choice, like you're planning on doing with Mythic.
So hopefully you find some value out of your purchase at any rate. :)Mar 23, 2016
- Let me know what you think of it. I have my reservations about picking up another system, but I'd love to see a review, especially a play test one, before making my mind up completely.Mar 23, 2016
- I added all the (free) Random Generators I've colleced for Supers gaming to my Google Drive & shared the links on my blarg here:
Along with some thoughts about "Comic Book Adventures" & "Worlds In Peril".Mar 25, 2016
Add a comment...