- Jack Mountain Bushcraft SchoolFounder, 1999 - present
PO Box 77 Ashland, ME 04732
Registered Master Maine Guide
Tim cooking a pizza in a cob oven.
"Tim represents the best qualities of the new generation of Maine Guides. Not only is he a Master Maine Guide, a licensed hunter, trapper, and fisherman, but he is also a naturalist, an excellent photographer, a media consultant, writer, and teacher."
- Maine Wilderness Guides Organization Newsletter, Fall 2009Background: Tim grew up on a lake in a small town in New Hampshire. From a young age he was camping, fishing and learning how to get around in a canoe.
After earning an undergraduate degree he fulfilled a childhood dream and moved to Alaska where he fished and lived for a year in a 12-foot trailer before returning to the lower 48 and getting a masters degree in education.
Tim spent years learning the craft of guiding and traditions of the north woods from Master Maine Guide Raymond Reitze and studied extensively with Mors Kochanski. He spent significant time in both summer and winter traveling with and learning from native Cree people in northern Quebec. Highlights of his background include a 30-day primitive living experiment in the Alaskan bush, an 11-day walkabout with no food in Alberta, and numerous solo trips in the woods and on the rivers of Maine, New Hampshire, Quebec and Alaska.
Tim taught bushcraft and guided part-time for several years before founding the Jack Mountain Bushcraft School in 1999. He's been at it full-time since then.
Bushcraft, Survival And Outdoor Educator
As of November, 2013, Tim has taught 24 semester-length, college level, field-based bushcraft courses. Summed up in a single word, Tim's educational philosophy is "Can". For the expanded description, read our educational philosophy page.Expedition Leader And Guide:
Tim is a Registered Master Maine Guide (hunting, fishing,
recreation) licensed by the state, and has also been a hunting and
fishing guide in New Hampshire.
He has guided survival, canoe, snowshoe, fishing and hiking trips in Maine, New Hampshire, Quebec, New Brunswick, Alaska and Florida. Destinations have included Maine's St. John and Allagash waterways, Quebec's La Verendrye Provincial Park, Alaska's Swan Lake Canoe Route and the Wilderness Waterway in the Florida Everglades, amongst others. He is a licensed hunter, trapper and fisherman.
Tim has been a featured speaker on outdoor education, survival and sustainability at a variety of events, including:
• Woodsmoke International Bushcraft Symposium - Tetonia, Idaho.
• Canoecopia Paddlesports Show - Madison, Wisconsin.
• Survival & Preparedness Conference - Dallas, Texas.
• Rockingham Fishing and Hunting Expo - Salem, New Hampshire.
• Wilderness Outdoor Living Conference - Portland, Maine.
• Snow Walker's Rendezvous - Fairlee, Vermont.
• Wilderness Paddler's Gathering - Fairlee, Vermont.
• Falls Brook Centre - Knowlesville, New Brunswick, Canada.
Tim has written seven books and a variety of magazine and newspaper articles.
• Bush Cookery: Outdoor Cooking Secrets From A Professional Woodsman.
• Bushcraft Education: Riffs And Reflections On Teaching And Learning Outdoors.
• On The Trail: Selected Canoe And Snowshoe Trip Journals.
• The Jack Mountain Bushcraft School Canoe Handbook.
• The Simple Little Sourdough And Outdoor Baking Book.
• First Person Ecology.
• Jack Mountain Bushcraft Student Handbook.
Publications in which articles have been published:
• Paddler Magazine.
• Natural New England Magazine.
• Wilderness Way Magazine.
• The Granite State News.
Photographer:Tim's photographs have appeared in numerous publications, including:
• Canoeroots Magazine.
• Men's Journal.
• Field & Stream.
• Portland Magazine.
• NH To Do Magazine.
• Massachusetts Wildlife.
• Burlington Free Press - Burlington, VT.
• Granite State News - Wolfeboro, NH.
• The Hippo - Manchester, NH.
Tim and Jack Mountain Bushcraft & Guide Service have been the subject of regional and national media coverage. More information on this is available in our Press Room.Medical Background and Training:
Tim has completed a significant amount of training in wilderness and emergency medicine with SOLO, including:
• Wilderness First Aid and CPR Refresher Course; October, 2007.
• Wilderness First Responder Refresher Training Program; January, 2003.
• Winter Medicine and Rescue, December; 2000.
• Fundamentals of Search and Rescue; November, 2000.
• Wilderness First Aid; November, 2000.
• EMT Refresher Training Program; October, 2000.
• EMT Refresher Training Program; January, 1999.
• Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician; November/December, 1996.
Tim has appeared on a variety of television shows, including:
• I'll Try Anything Once - Treasure HD Network - On-camera consultant and instructor.
• American Builder - CN8, The Comcast Network - On-camera consultant and instructor.
• CMT Most Wanted: Survivalists - Country Music Television - On-camera.
In addition, Tim has shot three pilots for the Animal Planet network, although none went to series:
• The Ends Of The World - 2010, Host.
• The Fat Of The Land - 2011, Host.
• Last Survivor Standing - 2012, Host.
Tim has consulted on several television shows on both sides of the camera, including:
• Naked & Afraid - Discovery Channel. Off-camera consultant. 2013.
• Man Vs. Wild with Bear Grylls - Discovery Channel. Off-camera consultant. 2006.
Tim achieved great success playing hockey, being a 2 time Hockey Night In Boston all-scholastic, 2 time Independent School League all-league selection, Boston Globe league MVP, First Team NEPSIHA all-New England, and All-American at St. Mark's School in Southboro, MA. Following high school Tim spent a year with the Madison (Wisconsin) Capitals in the United States Hockey League and during the 1990 Junior A national championship set (and might still hold) the record for the fastest two goals by a single player with his two goals in 15 seconds against the Detroit Jr. Wings. He then attended Union College and competed in the Eastern College Athletic Conference, but his career was cut short after his freshman year due to a shoulder injury.Professional Organizations:
- Union CollegeBA, Anthropology, 1990 - 1994
- University of North TexasM.Ed, Education, 1997 - 1999