Our very own +Randy Rapin
just uploaded the latest recording of the P6 User Group meeting covering Creating Half Step Schedules using P6's Update Baseline Utility
. Other #P6UG
related videos are on our YouTube channel: http://short.cpsconsult.com/youtube
Some information on the video:
Have you ever faced the challenge of reviewing a monthly schedule update that includes both progress updates and non-progress revisions? To effectively evaluate potential schedule impacts, a schedule reviewer needs to separate the progress updates from the non-progress revisions. Primavera P6™ software contains several features that can assist in the review and analysis of project schedules; it allows the Scheduler to save copies of project schedules as "Baselines". These Baseline schedules can also be updated using the "Update Baseline" utility. In this presentation, the authors' explore the Update Baseline feature, the myriad of options available, and how it can be used to review and analyze project schedules.
What is a Half-Step Schedule?
"Bifurcation (a.k.a. half-stepping or two-stepping) is a procedure to segregate progress reporting from various non-progress revisions inherent in the updating process. Elements that are considered to be non-progress revisions include:
• Addition or deletion of activities
• Split or combined activities, using new activity IDs
• Addition or deletion of logic links
• Changes to lag value of logic links
• Addition, deletion or changes to constraints
• Changes to Original Durations (OD)
• Increase in Remaining Durations (RD) such that RD becomes greater than OD
• Changes to RD not accompanied by changes to Percent Complete
• Increase in RD of activities that have not started
• Changes to calendar assignments
• Changes to holiday assignments within a pre-existing calendar" 
Half-Step schedules are used in schedule change analysis. The procedure is codified in the AACE Recommended Practice Number 29R-03, "Forensic Schedule Analysis" in Method Implementation Protocol (MIP) 3.4, "Observational / Dynamic / Contemporaneous Split".
"How do I use P6 to create a Half-Step Schedule?"
The answer to this simple question is use the Update Baseline Function. Using the P6 Update Baseline function can create Half-Step Schedules, if one knows how. In this presentation we will provide an overview of the Maintain and Update Baseline Functions, a detailed explanation of each user setting, and then a detailed explanation on how one can use the Update Baseline utility to create Half-Step Schedules.