17 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 5 previous comments
- Chicken flavored vegetarian ham?Jan 14, 2013
- Wei Wu+1There is a whole range of "vegetarian blah" products. They're mostly made from soy beans and many of them contain Lentinus edodes, which gives the product a meat like flavor.
Why? Because Chinese Buddhism (strongly) encourages vegetarian diet, so its followers invented these meat-flavored vegetarian products, aiming at helping people to give up eating meat over time.Jan 14, 2013
- But what makes it vegetarian ham if it's flavored like chicken?Jan 14, 2013
- It's probably ham texture with chicken flavouring.Jan 14, 2013
- Wei Wu+1because 素鸡，"vegetarian chicken", is sometimes used to refer to the whole range of vegetarian blah. This doesn't explain the Chinese text here 100% though because it indeed isn't logical - it reads "vegetarian chicken flavored ham", but it really should be "ham flavored vegetarian chicken", and the "vegetarian chicken" here will actually be in its generic meaning of "vegetarian food made from soy bean & Lentinus edodes". It's indeed an error, but I've grown tolerating of many of these not-very-accurate Chinese words that you'll see among the Chinese communities outside China, so this didn't register as much of an issue in my brain initially.
And now you see why I didn't explain in detail first time. Too much typing involved :(Jan 14, 2013
- Thank you for explaining, though, that's interesting.Jan 14, 2013