"Let's use this holiday as a reason to enjoy a day of Independence for ourselves. Why not do something for yourself? It can be this day or any other, this month."
This is the first post of two on the subject of changes in publishing. I came across an interesting post by Jane Friedman on the subject, based on a Nielsen presentation by Jonathan Nowell. Studying the last decade, one can reach a number of interesting conclusions.
When looking at the graph below, it’s interesting to remember that the first Kindle was released in late 2007, while 2011 saw the release of Kindle Fire.
Fiction ebook sales: Romance started off as the strongest genre in ebook format, and has remained dominant since. Today it constitutes 24% of all ebook sales.
Fiction print sales were up 20% from 2004–2009, and have decreased 37% since then (as a result of ebooks picking up momentum).
In the latest quarter, adult fiction accounts for 65% of ebook sales.
"Since books help girls and boys define their places in the world, we need to share children's books with them that will empower girls and boys to see a myriad of possibilities for their lives and the lives of others rather than limited opportunities based on gender."
How 'bout you?
I created the The Reading Tub when my daughter was 18 months old. Now she's 11! You'll find me writing about and sharing literacy ideas
#literacy - Children's Literacy
#Kidlit (or Kidlitosphere)
#Reviews - Children's and YA Book Reviews
#SocialMedia - Consulting and Marketing for Small Businesses
- The Reading TubExecutive Director, 2003 - presentFounded the Reading Tub as a nonprofit to promote Family Literacy. Our goal is to bring reading home for families: make it simple to incorporate literacy concepts into daily living and also to find books that are great to share together.
- Mom's Choice AwardsDirector of New Media, 2009 - 2015Coach, mentor, content curator, and educator. My roles run the gamut from writing blog posts and scheduling Tweets, building libraries of educational material for Honorees, providing 1-on-1 marketing advice, to creating and teaching webinars at the MCA Academy.
- thereadingtub.com (current)
- Family Bookshelf (current)
- Diversified Learning & Literacy (current)
- Literacy Tips, Tools & Resources (current)
- Using Social Media 101 (current)
- Celebrating Mom's Choice (current)
- MCA Matters (current)
- The Wash Rag, Reading Tub News (current)
- momschoiceawards.com (current)
- MCA Academy Instructor (current)
- MCA Academy Online (current)
- Big Universe blog (past)
- CarolRoth.com (past)
- Work Smarter not Harder (current)
#TBT Review: Frankenstein Takes the Cake • Reading Tub
This week's #TBT book review invites blog reviews of Frankenstein Takes the Cake by Adam Rex? This meme introduces old favorites to new read
TBT Book Review: A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever
The May 7 TBT Book Review is Marla Frazee's A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever. If you're a kidlit blogger who reviewed it, add your l
8 Reasons My Son Having Autism Has Made Me a Better Person
A parenting website for imperfect parents
10 Weird Ways to Be Happy Today, Backed by Science
Look at beautiful things! Listen to sad songs! 10 new ways to be happy that go far beyond sleep and exercise.
Family Literacy Activities with Music • Reading Tub
The Literacy + Life series helps parents by recommending family literacy activities they can incorporate into daily life. Read about incorpo
Smile & Succeed for Teens recipient of Mom's Choice Gold Award h...
Smile & Succeed for Teens is the recipient of the prestigious Mom's Choice Gold Award honoring excellence in family-friendly products. The a
5 ways to use traditional marketing to promote your social media channel...
Your company is likely to run a number of traditional marketing activities, as well as social media marketing activities. But do both work s
Technology & Your Family - Home Internet Safety
The Internet is fun for kids, but they can end up in "dark alleys." IT Expert Bryant Harrison explains Home Safety in this Technology & Your
West Toledo library hopes to boost literacy with $3.3M ‘fairytale’ addit...
A statewide test called Kindergarten Readiness Assessment – Literacy (KRA-L) is administered to kindergartners to show how much “interventio
Newsletter Tailored to What Your Kids Love • The Reading Tub
Reading Tub Recommendations is a newsletter to bring read-tested books to your inbox based on your kids' ages and favorite subjects or genre
Your Strategy Checklist: Is Your Social Media Outdated?
Staying up on trends and continually evolving a plan are essential to a successful social media marketing strategy. Therefore, it follows th