8 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 35 previous comments
- The tricky thing with doing a shootout with the pixel/nexii s 5/6 is whether to use hdr+ or not.
And if using hdr+ whether to use the lite, faster or slower better version.
Leaving out hdr+ riles up the owners because they think their phone is being unfairly handicapped. But I contend image quality would be better in some tests here. Hdr+ off will give you the sharpest possible. The flip side is as light levels dip the lack of ois works against.
Leaving it on will improve dynamic range at the expense of slightly softer images that would get penalised.
In the end leaving it on auto is what most will do and a test that shows the results will be most representative of normal use if not the best possible from the camera in question3w
- yes, but it was a blind test which means it is far from meaningless. In fact the phone that takes the pictures that people like the most means far more than pixel peeping.3w
- Yes but it isn't granular enough. When the gaps shorten between phones how are you going to separate them out. One key factor is picking tests purposely to trip phones up. That is largely down to the reviewer or examiner.
Very much prefer the format here, where the reviewer will show you the results, allow you to see full originals and mark them accordingly. Too often I find reviewers saying 'you be the judge'. Well, how competent are the judges.
What goes on in the forums after Steve posts his tests is we try to see if we can make up for failings. And quite often you can, if you know what to do. Just reinforces the point who takes the photo always matters a great deal more than what took it 😊
Question of effort and willingness. Best camera for the masses is one which takes the least effort and produces good enough photos. This is your people's camera. Not better camera.3w
- Steve LitchfieldOwnerThanks, I'll chase that up...3w
- Hopes that the leica sumarit lenses would catch up maybe exceed zeiss not met. Zeiss is still ahead. See how clean the light rays are from the 950
950, priv, p10plus and finally pixel3w