Singleton Parish Council
Full draft minutes can be downloaded from our website under the ‘meetings’ section and the latest news from, the ‘news’ section on our website – www.singletonparishcouncil.co.uk
Our last Council meeting was held on 21 September. Here’s a quick round-up of what was discussed and events that have taken place since:
• Co-option of new councillor – no one has come forward to fill this vacancy. If you are interested, please get in touch with the Clerk.
• Railings – we are waiting to hear from WSCC to see if we can get traffic lights in operation whilst we repaint the railings either side of the bus stop on the A286. We are also investigating other options to make a nicer approach into Singleton
• Fox Goes Free Car Park – we are continuing to work closely with Goodwood and the Fox Goes Free pub in an effort to try and extend the car park to ease parking in Charlton.
• Pond – three councillors have spent time weeding and tidying up the pond. The piles of weed will be collected by CDC.
• New multi-purpose bins installed – in an attempt to cut down on dog waste and plastic bags being dropped by dog walkers, new bins which also take dog waste have been installed in Charlton just by the Levin Down footpath and also at Glebe Field
• Southern Water – we are still working with Southern Water in an effort to stop them over pumping polluted water into the river. They have also agreed to pay for repair work to be done to the tyre tracks left by their tankers on the village green.
• Cemetery Project – sufficient funding has now been received to start work on tidying up the old Edwardian cemetery next to the school and turn it into a wild flower meadow and an area of peace and tranquillity. Work is due to start before Christmas.
• Defibrillator – due to lack of use, BT have taken the decision to remove the phone in Singleton and have offered the kiosk to the PC for £1. We have taken the decision to turn the kiosk into an emergency centre that will house a public access defibrillator and emergency phone. We are working with the Community Heartbeat Trust (CHT) and BT to achieve this.
• Playground – following our annual inspection, a couple of councillors have spent time repainting the climbing frame and gate.
• Post Office – despite PC appeals to the Post Office urging them to keep a full counter service in operation at the Museum, regrettably this service closed in July. A 6 week local public consultation has closed but PC took part in the consultation and urged the Post Office to open twice a week (in the morning and another in the afternoon) and that due to the uneven surface at the Partridge, a more suitable place would be opposite Little Garth. Until the consultation responses have been considered, a new mobile service will be at the Partridge Inn, Mondays 2.15-4pm and your new mobile postmaster is Noel Reidy 07484 526779.
• Parking at Bankside – it was agreed that the PC should write a letter to Hyde Martlett regarding the money that was set aside by them to look into what can be done about where there is a solid line of cars along the road in front of the houses. It’s hoped the money set aside for this may be able to still be used.
• Goodwood Stewardship Proposal – following the village meeting in September with Goodwood, it was agreed that there is merit in working closely with Goodwood. Stewardship was accepted and it was agreed that we would work with Goodwood to ensure our VDS is robust and complements their Estate Plan.
All our Parish Council meetings are open to the public and we welcome and encourage people to attend.
Jane Landstrom, Clerk, Singleton Parish Council
T: 01798 669118 E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: www.singletonparishcouncil.co.uk