Famed inventor, entrepreneur, author, and futurist Ray Kurzweil announced this afternoon that he has been hired by Google.
113 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 4 previous comments
- Andrew Y+2The age of spiritual machines. Google probably represents his best chance of realizing his predictions.Dec 14, 2012
- LOL,, I guess you just woke up from a decade long hibernation? And haven't actually read the article? Or you might know that Google builds self-driving cars, is a pioneer in automatic translation, has a project to digitize every book on the planet, etc etc etc, in short all sorts of stuff that Kurzweil is interested in and might help them withDec 14, 2012
- Kurzweil's neurology is ludicrous.Dec 14, 2012
- This guy created cool synths in the past.Dec 14, 2012
- Google is on it's way to becoming Skynet!Dec 15, 2012
- I've been reading How to Create a Mind, and I'd say I have to agree that he's probably very wrong about how the human brain processes higher level thinking, but I do think his pattern recognition theory of mind will be a very effective method for synthesizing intelligence.
I expect Google's intention is for him to refocus a large portion of their engineers to working on "creating a mind". Regardless of whether they produce something truly sentient, I'm sure that their efforts will result in a pattern recognition engine that will make Google Now and Siri look like Furby.Dec 15, 2012