Are you looking forward to the death of physical cash and credit cards? Square introduces Gift Cards http://tcrn.ch/Uokhc2
2 Photos - View album
94 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 21 previous comments
- On the other hand, government shadiness and concern re: infrastructure collapse aside, there is a certain benefit to phasing out physical cash and credit cards- namely, neutering the crime of mugging.
Today, even if you don't carry cash, you've got credit cards a mugger could steal, and there is always the scenario where they keep a gun on you while you make an atm withdrawal.
Remove the physical cash and cards from the equation entirely, and if they want something out of you they basically need to keep a gun on your back and walk into a store/take you somewhere with internet connectivity and have you make a purchase online/etc. Shooting first and searching the wallet later would be pointless, and a would-be mugger has to keep you alive a LOT longer if they want to benefit from their efforts. This of course means a larger window for you to get help or escape. Consider for a moment how many innocents have been mugged vs. how many innocents have had their assets frozen by the government- this is the kind of thing that can prevent some forms of crime outright!Dec 9, 2012
- How about we just have more concealed carry which has proven to decrease crime? That way two constitutional provisions kept at the same time, 2nd amendment and the federal government coining money.Dec 9, 2012
- More concealed carry does decrease crime in the long term, but it has to reach critical mass where the average criminal is expecting the average victim to be armed. That doesn't happen overnight, and it's a bloody path to get there.
Even if you have a concealed firearm, when your first warning of an attack is the barrel of a gun pressed against your back, it isn't helping you much. Might not even be a real gun- are you going to call that bluff by reaching for your piece? Beyond just that, this can also result in more instances of 'shoot first, then grab the wallet.'
On the other hand, removing physical currency is an opportunity to remove the premise and target of the crime of mugging. In order to adapt and function, a model that is significantly more favorable to the potential victim must be adopted, as I detailed earlier.Dec 9, 2012
- Starbucks is a tax dodging chain.Dec 10, 2012
- Paying by smartphone is nice, but only as long as your battery holds out. If you're on travel that can be risky.Dec 10, 2012
- nice coffee gift cards in secondsDec 16, 2012