-Bee season goes from March through October
-Choose a selection of plants that will bloom successively during this time period
-Flowers should be planted in large patches of like varieties to allow bees to dine in one spot for long periods of time
- Bees thrive in gardens that are not extremely manicured
- Bee houses are an option when a manicured garden look is preferred
- A good bee garden will include a few puddles from which the bees can drink
- DO NOT use pesticides in bee gardens. This is one of the main reasons all of our bee colonies in California are dying
- The best plants to choose for your bee garden are varieties that are native to your area.
- If non-native, stay away from anything with the word ‘double’ in the name or description
- Bees are especially attracted to flowers that are purple, blue or yellow.
- Small bees, which have short tongues, are most often attracted to small, shallow flowers. Use flowers such as daisy, marigold, butterfly weed, valerian, buttercup, aster, yarrow and Queen Anne’s lace.
- Larger bees, which have longer tongues, can handle slightly deeper flowers. They enjoy plants such as delphinium, larkspur, columbine, monkshood and snapdragon. Long-tongued bees are also attracted to various herbs, such as sage, oregano, mint and lavender.
- Leaf-cutting bees are drawn to plants in the legume family and sweet clover.
- Bees require two types of plants to survive: pollen plants and nectar plants.
Nectar plants - Barberry, Bee plant, Blue Pea, Borage, Chinese Houses, Horehound, Lavender, Sage, Salvia, Scented Geranium, Wisteria
Pollen plants - Bush Anemone, California Poppy, Yarrow
Combination - Bidens, Blanket Flower, Blazing Star, Daisy, Marigold, Tansy
The European Honey Bee is an exotic species in California. I think there is a healthy population of native bees, however. Before Fionn was verbal enough to say much of anything we'd sit out in the yard by some sage, or other super-bee plant, and just count the different types of bees we saw buzzing aournd the flowers. I was blown away by how many different kinds there were!
"It's not that writers have anymore ideas than anyone else, they just notice them [and exploit them] when they do come up"
- The Connected Learning AllianceTechnical Director, 2014 - present
- Los Angeles MakerspaceCo-founder/Exec Director, 2012 - present
- UC Irvine Digital Media Learning Research HubTechnology Director, 2012 - present
- Born This Way FoundationTech Advisor / Wrangler, 2012 - 2013
- Tiger ProductionsOwner/ Technical Product Manager, 2011 - 2012
- NootCo-founder/VP of Product, 2010 - 2010
- Topspin MediaSr. Program Manager / Account Manager, 2008 - 2010
- MicrosoftSr. Lead Program Manager, 2000 - 2008
- BCAADeveloper / Project Manager, 1997 - 2000
- Yaletown TechnologyDeveloper / Project Manager, 1995 - 1997
Hi and thanks for being here!
This is general list of things I tend to post:
- MAKE / DIY,
- Women in Tech,
- Tech Startups,
- Los Angeles,
- Digital Media Learning,
- Mentoring & Coaching,
- Kid Stuff,
- Animal Advocacy
- and things that make me laugh.
Hearts and Hugs,
- British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
- Post University
'Grand Theft Auto V' As Character Drama And The Challenge Of Writing A F...
Grand Theft Auto V is a character drama, but it's missing some important pieces.
Tinkering Fundamentals: Integrating Making Activities into Your STEM Cla...
Tinkering Fundamentals: Integrating Making Activities into Your STEM Classroom is a free online class taught by Mike Petrich, Karen Wilkinso
Peru's archaeologists turn to drones to help protect and explore ancient...
Remote-controlled aircraft can save months of survey work and defend against growing threat from miners and squatters
Los Angeles Comedian Shares Why She Hates San Francisco
Los Angeles-based comedian Suzi Barrett shares the reasons why she hates San Francisco, California in this funny video on Funny or Die. It's
The Up! is up! --- Unclogging the nozzle on the Up! 3D printer.
The Up! printer at Los Angeles Makerspace had been down with a jammed extruder. Eain first reported that the extruder was stuttering while e
Smile! Hackers Can Silently Access Your Webcam Right Through The Browser...
You know those people who put tape over their laptop's webcam to keep digital peeping toms at bay? They're not crazy. A new proof of concept