- University of WarwickEthnic Relations, 1995 - 2000PhD thesis entitled, 'How South Asians Achieve in Education'.
Tahir Abbas was Professor of Sociology at Fatih University in Istanbul, Turkey from 2010-2016. Born in Birmingham, England, he is author, editor and co-editor of ten books and (co)author of over 70 journal articles and book chapters on the subjects of ethnic studies and Muslim identity politics. He has been a fellow at the Universities of Oxford, Warwick and Exeter in England, and visiting professor at Leiden University in the Netherlands, the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, International Islamic University in Islamabad and State Islamic University in Jakarta.
- Fatih UniversityProfessor of Sociology, 2012 - 2016
- Warwick University Centre for ResearchResearch Assistant, 1995 - 1995Research in Ethnic Relations
- Birmingham City UniversityResearch Fellow, 1997 - 1999Research Fellow, Birmingham City University Business School, UK
- Warwick University Centre for ResearchAssociate Fellow, 1999 - 2001Research in Ethnic Relations
- University of BirminghamLecturer, 2003 - 2009Lecturer (2003-2005), Senior Lecturer (2005-2006) and Reader (2006-2009) in Sociology and Director of Centre for the Study of Ethnicity and Culture,
- University of OxfordVisiting Fellow, 2007 - 2008Oxford Centre for slamic Studies
- University of BirminghamFellow, 2007 - 2009Fellow of Security and Democracy
- Exeter UniversityHonorary Fellow, 2009 - 2011Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies
- Fatih University2010 - 2012Associate Professor of Sociology
- Hebrew University of JerusalemAssociate Professor, 2012 - 2012Schonbrunn Visiting Associate Professor
- International Islamic University IslamabadIqbal Fellow, 2012 - 2012Institute of Research and Dialogue
- State Islamic University in Jakarta2012 - 2012Visiting Professor
- Leiden UniversityVisiting Professor, 2013 - 2013Department of Religious Studies
- Royal United Services InstituteSenior Research Fellow, 2016 - present