Be very wary of the "exit interview" opportunity...
Smart and effective job hunting today is a moving target. This collection will help people learn what works and stay up-to-date for their job search and their career.
The toughest part of a job search for most of us is the salary negotiation at the end. As usual has thoroughly analyzed the situation and the options and offers her usual excellent insight.
This is how to ace that interview, if you can't escape it.
"Google is the new resume" according to What Color Is Your Parachute author Dick Bolles. As usual, he is very correct!
That's not necessarily bad news. Here's what could be going on...
Excellent information shared by , author of perennial best-seller What Color Is Your Parachute? in an interview conducted by Professor of MIT and
- NETability, Inc.President, 1995 - presentPublisher, editor, and chief writer for Job-Hunt.org and WorkCoachCafe.com, both top Career websites for 2013 and 2014 according to Forbes; author of several books, co-editor of New Year, New Job!, and contributor to several other top websites.
- Job-Hunt.orgPublisher and Editor, 1998 - 2014Your Guide to Smarter Job Search.
- WorkCoachCafe.comPublisher and Editor, 2011 - 2014Help surviving the job search process.
- MIT Sloan School of ManagementVisiting Scholar, 2013 - 2014Exploring effective job search methods for long-term unemployed.
- MIT Sloan School of ManagementResearch Affiliate, 2011 - 2013
- Digital Equipment CorporationSenior Operations Consultant, 1981 - 1994
- The Wyatt CompaniesProject Manager, Bank Compensation Survey, 1979 - 1980
- Harvard UniversitySystems Analyst & Assistant Systems Manager, 1974 - 1979
- United States Marine CorpsFirst Lieutenant, 1972
I also manage the Job-Hunt Help LinkedIn Group, speak about online job search at conferences and job clubs, am a Visiting Scholar at the MIT Sloan School of Management, and am also planning to write more books about smart job search.
JOB SEARCH WEBSITES
JOB - HUNT.org, Your Guide to Smarter Job Search, is free job search portal website offering jobs plus links to thousands of carefully-selected (by a human being) career resources plus over 1,000 articles in nearly 50 Guides, written by experts in their fields.
The job search basics:
- Guide to Working with Recruiters
- Guide to Writing Effective Resumes
- Guide to Successful Job Interviews
- Guide to Job Search Networking
- Guide to Personal Branding
- Guide to Company Research
- Guide to Using Google for Job Search
- Guide to Using Email for Job Search
- Guide to Avoiding Job Scams
- Guide to Protecting Your Privacy
- Guide to Job Search Navigation
- Guide to Social Media and Job Search
- Guide to Google Plus for Job Search
- Guide to LinkedIn for Job Search
- Guide to Twitter for Job Search
- Guide to Facebook for Job Search
- Guide to a Stealth Job Search (when you are employed)
- Guide to Temporary Employment
- Guide to Layoff Recovery
- Guide to Career Change
WORKCOACHCAFE.com - is a free blog with nearly 500 articles and 11,000+ comments on topics like:
- Is Your Job Search Too Old-Fashioned?
- Why Submitting a Resume Doesn't Work
- How to Answer: Why should we hire you?
- How to Knock Their Socks Off in a Job Interview
- Why LinkedIn Isn't Helping Your Job Search
- After the Interview, What Is Taking SO Long?
- How to Find a Job Using Craigslist - author
- Layoff Self-Defense - author (free PDF)
- Choosing Safe Job Boards - author (free PDF)
- New Year, New Job! - co-editor
For more information, please visit Job-Hunt.org and WorkCoachCafe.com, follow @JobHuntOrg and @WorkCoachCafe on Twitter, join the Job-Hunt Help LinkedIn Group, and "Like" the JobHuntOrg Facebook page.
- Boston University Graduate School of ManagementMBA - Information Systems
- University of Nebraska at LincolnBS - Education
5 Essential Things You Must Do to Find a Job — Work Coach Cafe
The availability of Internet and technology has dramatically changed recruiting today. Consequently, to be effective, the methods you use fo
Ace Your Exit Interview if You Can’t Avoid It — Work Coach Cafe
When possible, avoid participating in an “exit interview” when you leave an employer. You do not benefit from participating. In fact, exit i
Why Did They Take Down That Job Posting? — Work Coach Cafe
Job postings disappear, but often it's good news if you have already applied. Here are 7 possible explanations about what is happening.
Job Search and Job Networking in a New Location — Work Coach Cafe
A job seeker recently described a problem that many of us have had, finding a job in a new location far from “home” and her network. Not too
Winning the Job Search Numbers Game — Work Coach Cafe
A successful job search is not a simple “numbers game” that you can win by applying for jobs endlessly. Simply submitting as many resumes as
The 25 Best Keywords for Your Job Search - Job-Hunt.org
The 25 best keywords for your job search to make your resume and your social media profiles appear in the right search results for you.
Protect Your Birthday to Protect Your Identity - Work Coach Cafe
I’m very annoyed with Facebook, LinkedIn, and any other social network or website that collects your birth date from you, and then makes it
Involuntary Change Can Be GREAT! - Work Coach Cafe
Sometimes change we don’t want, change we may even fear and dread — like a layoff — can be very good for us in the long run. Because we have
» Attitude is Key to Getting Hired – But What Does Attitude Really Mean?
Attitude is Key to Getting Hired – But What Does Attitude Really Mean? Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014. Not long ago, we reported on survey res
Job Interview Success - Know the Employer Before the Interview - Work Co...
Understanding as much as possible about the employer is one of the keys to success in job interviews. Here are 5 sources and what they can s
35 Ways Time Is Wasted in Job Search - Work Coach Cafe
A long job search can be deadly. Things that worked in the past don't work now. Treating the process too casually can also make a job search
Virtual career fair on 9/11 for veterans and military spouses | Kevin O'...
More than 2 million men and women have deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq since September 2011, and the skills, training, and experiences they
Quickest Way to Land a New Job | Susan P Joyce | LinkedIn
Unemployment is scary, especially if you've been unemployed for several months! Bills to pay and a family to support make employment a neces
How to Negotiate the Best Starting Salary for Your New Job
Understanding what comprises your salary and how you can negotiate the best starting salary for your new job give you an excellent start in