5 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 4 previous comments
- I always wanted to own a Lotus. Lotus Espirt, to be exact.Nov 19, 2012
- Hmm, too bad they're not also sun-setting Notes along with the Lotus Brand.... :-)Nov 19, 2012
- I have a confession to make. I actually like Notes. Don't hate me!
Its problem, from where I sit, is that it's really more of a groupware development environment, that an out of the box client/server groupware end-user program... and that's how it was always sold and how people always try to use it. Back in the 90s, I, and several of my colleagues, wrote some really handy editorial workflow applications in it. Since then I still haven't seen anything as handy as the programs we created.Nov 19, 2012
- I can see how as a Groupware development environment, and as a distributed database solution, it's kinda cool. The problem is that as an e-mail and a calendaring solution, it predates the popularization of SMTP/Internet-style e-mail, and certainly modern-day calendaring solutions --- and it very much shows.
David Miller has reported that on occasion --- most recently just a month or two ago ---- *all* of IBM's Lotus Notes address would start bouncing and he would have to threaten to have them all removed from the Linux Kernel Mailing List. And of course, as an open source developer who likes to ship patches around, it would be nice if Lotus Notes understood how to ship patches around without damaging whitespace --- a problem that I believe even Microsoft Outlook was able to solve...
As far as Notes as a groupware solution, my memory of its performance was that it was abysmal, but that may have been due to IBM being really cheap and massively underprovisioning its Domino servers that it made available for its employees' use (for working on departmental budgets during Fall Plan season, etc.).
Bottom line --- as someone who was forced to use Notes while I was an IBM employee, it was definitely not something I missed when I left IBM....Nov 19, 2012
- No worries. I'll hate you for him. You're welcome.Nov 19, 2012
- Heh. I missed that LKML kerfuffle. I hadn't known Notes still had its whitespace problem. Oh well, maybe it is time to put this program out to pasture. Sorry Ozzie!Nov 19, 2012