I was at the PlayStation 4 launch last night, though the PlayStation 4 wasn't. But Sony gave us an idea of what it's about. The post-Kutaragi PlayStation isn't a reinvention of gaming (as the previous ones tried to be) but a doubling down of the gaming status quo. Will that hold for the next seven years?
12 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 3 previous comments
- Is this one going to be backwards-compatible?Feb 21, 2013
- Feb 21, 2013
- Not natively. Apparently they've got some software solution planned..but given the vaporous nature of the presentation, there's no guarantee anything is nailed down as a final feature at this point. No idea why Sony even bothered with an PS4 announcement event to be honest.Feb 21, 2013
- I don't really get this assessment:
"...wouldn’t it have been more exciting to somehow create a new kind of game that drew upon the vast trove of locational and personal information we carry around with us?"
First, what in the PS4 announcement precludes Sony from doing this in the next 6-7 yrs, with the help of the PS4? Better question - with their 5 year head start, why haven't the very mobile platforms that provide that vast trove of personal and locational information already capitalized on that data to create the new kind of game you assume is out there?
I don't deny Sony has a significant uphill battle here but you seem to be putting the onus solely on their shoulders to somehow reinvent gaming entirely. It's not that simple and certainly not overnight. Nobody else has created a truly compelling AR/location-based gaming experience yet, the likes of which will draw in millions of players. In any case, many of the building blocks were there at last night's conference.Feb 21, 2013
- The reason why consoles don't do this is the same reason why there are still consoles in the first place and also why consoles are able to last for 7-8 years.
It is because the developers always know the exact specifications of the consoles, remove that and you're basically playing on a PC. Consoles make development easier and also allow for a more consistent experience and you are able to push the hardware to it's very limit.
Once you allow a console to upgrade you've either have to code for 2 (or more) different hardware specifications OR you leave all those who don't upgrade their consoles behind. It's basically the same argument between developing between apple and android.Feb 22, 2013
- This last generation lasting 8 years was an aberration. Before that they usually lasted around 5.Feb 22, 2013