I was born ornery, poor and chubby. I grew out of poor into middle class, and I eventually grew out of chubby.
Traumatic playground experiences instilled in me a deep distaste for team sports, so I gravitated toward individual sports like Karate, Cycling, Triathlon and swimming in engine-room bilges.
- Earned a black belt in Shotokan Karate by age 16
- Graduated from Council Rock H. S. Newtown, PA in 1984
- Enlisted in US Navy as a Storekeeper
- Graduated from Texas A&M University 1988
- Commissioned an Ensign in US Navy 1988
- Officer of the Deck, 3rd Division Officer, #3 Main Machinery Room Officer onboard USS SARATOGA (CV 60) 1989-1992
- Married Laura Gilliland in April 1991
- Navigator, Admin Officer USS AUSTIN (LPD 4)
- Shop Foreman, Palm Harbor Homes
- Assault Auxiliaries Division Officer and Damage Control Training Team Leader on-board USS NASSAU (LHA 4)
- Chief Engineer on USS MERRIMACK (AO 179), USS JUNEAU (LPD 10) and USS DUBUQUE (LPD 8)
- Executive Officer and Commanding Officer of Navy Reserve Center Earle, in Colts Neck, NJ 2000-2003
- Converted to Orthodox Christianity in 2002
- Became a father in 2008
- "Retired" from active duty in 2010.