I made a bed leveling probe out of the hotend itself. Per an idea by Daniel on the deltabot forums. The resulting design is much less bulky than the original. The key features are: no deploy/retract required, no pin/spring/collar required, no bulky tower to hold pin assembly. The requirement for use is to perform a pre-heat and wipe of the tip to clean it before probing. This can be done via start-gcode commands prior to issuing the G29 command to auto-level.
39 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 4 previous comments
- , I don't think so. I think this method will actually behave more like a spring mounted bed so it will be a bit more forgiving in that sense. Ideally speaking, due to auto-leveling the printer will be so well tuned that you won't experience curling anyways....Oct 6, 2013
- ThantiKOwnerI print in ABS, and lots of upper surface features on some things end up curling slightly regardless of bed level. :)
Are there files released for this anywhere?Oct 6, 2013
- Not yet. I haven't got it printing myself yet as I am working on a Viki LCD to Azteeg X1 wiring chart and pin description project at the moment.Oct 6, 2013
- Very nice Steve. Leading the way as usual!Oct 6, 2013
- Much neater than mine!
/me fires up openscad...Oct 7, 2013
- Does anyone have a link to the thread on the forums? I am building my first kossel now and would much rather try to use this autolevel solution than the probe.. thanks!Jul 11, 2014