Bone Hoard of the Dancing Horror session report
Some highlights from last night's game. Session report is filthy with adventure spoilers from +Daniel Bishop
's module, so if you haven't played it yet.... you've been warned.
- the adventure: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/103661/AL1-Bone-Hoard-of-the-Dancing-Horror-DCC
- PCs sought out the dungeon after discovering rumors that there was a secret temple that had the ability to re-grow limbs. (Dwarf had lost all the fingers on left hand in last session--in my campaign, corruption isn't just for wizards.. if your body get's rolled, you get permanent physical damage that cannot be clerically healed--so she was keen to get her hand back to replace this shield that is now permanently welded to her stump.... More on Adventure Hooks later...
- Capricious dice: The party had relatively little problem dispatching the big bad-ass Hoardling at the end (see module cover), but the mighty dwarf died (and was rolled) at the beginning after being over-run by 1-hp leech rats. You never know when your time is up.
- the dancing horror itself is described as this dancing/twirling mesmerizing creature that makes music from its bones in it's back. During this encounter, I made use of YouTubes 30-min track of "Merry Go Round music... added interesting atmosphere
- Fighter attempt to jump a chasm of transmogrifying nacreous fluid which effectively is a vat of fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva... almost drowns, comes out looking like The Thing from Fantastic Four (Agility permanently reduced to 2)
- Dwarf realizes the fluid is probably the answer to her Fingerless-Hand Problem - she dips hand into it, which immediately dissolves away all her flesh (6hp dmg), and replaces her hand bones with one from the nearby bone hoard. She now has new skinless hand, but it's made of immovable bone. She is going to paint it gold a-la Jamie Lannister.
- also made use of YouTube's one-hour loop of "Epic Fight Music" when hoardling arrived. Highly recommended for the comedic effect it provided.
All in all, a good and memorable time.
Adventure Hooks Suggestions
Here's my community suggestion that I'm too lazy to implement myself but I think it would be handy. I think we should start adding to the DCC Resources Page of Known Module a couple of one or two liners briefly describing hooks to get into that module. For this adventure it just so happened that i had a dwarf lamenting the loss of her fingers, so I could tweak some of the elements within the adventure to provide a PC motivation, but it might be cool to start foreshadowing future adventure opportunities.