Whoaaaaa... This is going to have to take some mulling over.
Initial thoughts, I guess:
- Interesting how the search bar has such a prominent place. I do search through my email, but search phrases should be shorter, no?
- I like the pin off/on toggle next to the search bar. I guess this will replace the starring system - may be an issue for people who use the Labs' add-on of custom stars/icons. (+Victor Yee
- Built-in tasks are really cool. Wonder how the "feedback" portion works - how does Gmail determine when someone is asking for feedback? Will there only be two options - good and bad?
- The Promotions and Social tabs are now threads instead of tabs. Wondering how this will display... Accordions? Or maybe just buttons to separate sections.
- Labels are now similar to the Promotions and Social tabs. At first I was thinking this would be a nice way to roll up groups of emails, but now I'm thinking... What if you have an important email within a Label? You'd have to open the Label and filter through it. That adds a second step and also time.
- I don't see how the current Important/Very Important flagging system is translated in the redesign. I hope they aren't getting rid of it! It's a great way to visually filter your inbox.
- Doesn't seem like there is any more customization for chat list/calendar/quick links/docs list widgets.