Read more about so.cl here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2012/05/21/microsoft-launches-new-social-network-to-compete-with-google/
I think all social networks are becoming less popular. Perhaps the exception is Facebook but I refrain from using FB because I hate Mark Zuckerberg, he is a piece of shit. While looking into the possible Bing alternative I discovered the following Wired report (5 Feb 2015) stating #Twitter is in danger of becoming Bing.
"...Twitter will never grow to match the money engines spinning away at Facebook and Google. But trying to be more like Facebook seems like an effort that will fail before it ever begins. If Facebook is to social as Google is to search, that would make Twitter Bing." http://www.wired.com/2015/02/twitter-danger-becoming-bing-social-media/
I think all social media has had its day, or least this is so from my viewpoint. I don't really have anything to say now. Trying to influence people is a tedious and painful task, furthermore I don't need to seek agreement regarding my views.
I think social media is outdated. Perhaps the #noplatforming public-speaking trend is being taken-up in a slightly different manner by social media giants? Maybe they simply don't want anyone to have a platform regarding anything? LOL, maybe the social media experiment has concluded there is no need or reason to hear the views of other people.
If, however, someone want to create a perfect social media network here are my rules to make it useful-usable
2. Allow the editing of posts and comments.
3. Clearly date posts and comments.
4. Allow bold italics and underline.
5. Don't redesign the network every year (or month) merely for the mindless sake of redesigning.
6. Give user power, control, to display the information how they want it to be displayed.
7. Have more features rather then less. For example events, pages, polls, photos, videos etc, but make sure the user can easily remove from their profile features they don't want to use.
8. Don't be a dick (AKA an out-of-touch executive who has no idea what easy and simple communication actually means.)
#socialmedia #googleplus #googleplusupdate #igiveup
In the meantime I went back to the old google, because I need to be able to view my circles and I don't have the time to fix my data for the new google Plus. They could at least provide a tool to move circles to the new viewing set if I want them that way.