The answer is not more rigorous testing; remember, the larger the system of regulations, the more games you can play on them. No, the answer is citizen scrutiny. Require full corresponding source be made public for any software associated with any product undergoing regulatory scrutiny. Preferably under an OSI-approved license.
The Italian military is transitioning to LibreOffice and the Open Document Format (ODF). The Ministry of Defense will over the next year-and-a-half install this suite of office productivity tools on some 150,000 PC workstations - making it Europe’s second largest LibreOffice implementation. The switch was announced on 15 September by the LibreItalia Association.
- Wipro TechnologiesDirector, 2015 - present
- Meshed Insights LtdDirector, 2013 - present
- Meshed Insights & KnowledgeIndependent Consultant, 2011 - 2013
- ForgeRockChief Strategy Officer, 2010 - 2011
- Sun MicrosystemsChief Open Source Officer, 2000 - 2010
- IBMChief Java Evangelist, 1995 - 2000
- IBMConferencing Systems, 1990 - 1995
- UnisysBTOS/CTOS Specialist, 1987 - 1990
- BurroughsMedium Systems Specialist, 1982 - 1987
Stop laying the blame for Heartbleed on open source
Security experts acknowledge that open source is the best model for crypto, so how do we drive improvements to the model for creating securi
Sony and Google gang up for an illegal video takedown
Sony's drive-by copyright takedown illustrates the harm old business models can do to new approaches like open source
Microsoft opens .Net but misses the point with mobile
Unprecedented change continues to flow from Microsoft. But does the company really 'get it'?
Supreme Court set for landmark decision -- good or bad -- on software pa...
The Alice Corp. v. CLS Bank case has reached the Supreme Court, and expectations run high that we may finally get clarity on the legality of
Open Source Initiative, Free Software Foundation unite against software ...
In rare joint move, OSI and FSF come together to file a U.S. Supreme Court briefing