Works at Omniglot Ltd
Attended Bangor University
Lives in Bangor, Gwynedd, Wales
Add a comment...
Add a comment...
- Omniglot LtdLinguist, 2008 - presentMaintaining and developing Omniglot.com, the online encyclopedia of writing systems and languages, answers questions from visitors, learning languages.
- Study Group InternationalWeb Developer, 1999 - 2008Developing and maintaining multilingual websites.
- British CouncilVarious, 1994 - 1998Worked as an education counsellor, external liaison officer, IT manager and web consultant.
Bangor, Gwynedd, Wales
Brighton, East Sussex, England - Taipei, Taiwan - Osaka, Japan - Leeds, West Yorkshire, England - Jersey, Channel Islands - L'Isle-en-Dodon, Midi-Pyrénées, France - Sévignac-le-Pas, Midi-Pyrénées, France - Freshwater Bay, Isle of Wight, England - Maidenhead, Berkshire, England - Eskdale, Cumbria, England - Silverdale, Lancashire, England
One language is never enough / Dydy un iaith byth yn ddigon / 一種語言永遠不夠
After finishing university I worked for the British Council in Taipei for four years in various positions. While there I learnt the basics of web design and desktop publishing. I then returned to the UK and worked for a while as a freelance web designer and translator, then got a job as a multilingual web developer with Study Group International in Brighton. Nine years later I was made redundant, but fortunately by then my website, Omniglot.com, was making enough money to live on. I also got some freelance work writing for other websites, and decided it was time for a change of direction. My plan was to become a speech and language therapist, and I decided to study linguistics first. I chose Bangor University to do this as the course sounded interesting, and I wanted to be in a Welsh-speaking area (I taught myself Welsh while in Brighton). Since completing my MA in linguistics I've been living in Bangor and making my living from Omniglot.
- Bangor UniversityLinguistics, 2008 - 2009
- University of LeedsChinese & Japanese, 1989 - 1993
- National Taiwan Normal UniversityChinese, 1993 - 1994
- Kansai Gaidai UniversityJapanese, 1991 - 1991
- National Chengchi UniversityChinese, 1990 - 1990