- Mississippi Hospital AssociationVice President for Marketing & Public Relations, 2000 - present
- Hightower AgencyCreative Director, 1996 - 2000
- Explorer PublicationsPublication Manager, 1995 - 1996
- K&W PrepressPrepress, 1994 - 1995
- Hattiesburg AmericanAd Designer, 1993 - 1994
Graduated from Gulfport High School in 1987. Graduated from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College in 1989. Bachelor's degree in English from the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg (1991). Master's degree in English from USM too (1993).
I work in communications/public relations in the health care field. I have also worked as a waitress, housekeeper, telemarketer (ask me about my experience trying to get folks to buy tickets for blind kids to go to the circus), freshman comp and technical writing teacher (as a TA), nanny, typesetter, graphic designer, copywriter, writer, magazine editor, magazine layout designer and creative director for an advertising agency. And I use all of those skills in my current position!
100 Things About Me
1. My first name is Shawn.
2. My middle name is Marie.
3. My maiden name was Zehnder.
4. I enjoy thunderstorms (and, I’ll admit, hurricanes).
5. I am 44 years old.
6. I know how a bill becomes a law (quite intimately).
7. I am short. (5' 3")
8. I love thrift stores and used book stores.
9. I hate cleaning the house.
10. I’ve lived in Mississippi all of my life – but hopped around the state quite a bit.
11. I am a mom.
12. I am a sister.
13. I read the comics every day.
14. I made fun of fantasy players for years - until my husband made me play one year - and now I'm a fantasy football player too! (League Champ 2011, thankyouverymuch.) ;)
15. I’ve used a seat belt ever since I saw what my little brother’s face looked like after going through his car’s windshield.
16. I have a little brother. (HE LIVED!)
17. I ran a half-marathon the day after I turned 37. I had never run at all before training for that. (I decided I really, really like 5Ks!)
18. I love books – even when I don’t have time to read them.
19. I enjoy photography (taking pictures and looking at others' pictures).
20. When I was a child, my phone number was 896-4845. (My parents must have ingrained it in my head well. A+ for them.)
21. I love my job.
22. I make friends easily.
23. But I’m not good at letting go.
24. I don’t watch much TV except for football and season binges of TV shows on Netflix.
25. I am a gadget freak.
26. I am a fantastic cook.
27. I first learned about blogging when Wonkette outed Washingtonienne.
28. My favorite work of fiction is Streetcar Named Desire.
29. I am not a morning person.
30. My personality type is ENTJ.
31. I am an animal person – dogs, cats, fish, snakes, iguanas, pigs, etc. etc.
32. My favorite Christmas present ever was my fire-engine red professional KitchenAid mixer.
33. I am a geek, and I'm OK with it.
34. Sunday is my favorite day of the week.
35. My first job was at Wendy’s. I had to wear the Wendy outfit and hand out balloons to kids on Saturdays often. Yet, I still eat at Wendy's.
36. My favorite poem is T.S. Eliot’s "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."
37. My favorite poet is Ogden Nash.
38. I’ve never colored my hair. (And I’m from the South, so that’s saying a lot.)
39. If I had a $100 today to spend frivolously, I’d probably buy old used community cookbooks (especially the ones with recipe cards, notes, and clipped recipes still in from the previous owner).
40. I started blogging in 2004. I was amazed to discover that there were folks my kind of weird all around the world!
41. I am a Sagittarius.
42. I don’t like to gamble. But I love to play poker. And live for Poker Night with my friends. But it's only $10 a pop.
43. I drive a maroon 2006 Toyota Sienna. I really wanted a convertible. It was the triumph of pragmatism over passion. It still hurts. (UPDATE: I now drive a 2013 red VW Beetle Convertible. Pragmatism sucks!) ;)
44. Google is my home page – at home and at work.
45. I’ve never had braces or eye glasses. (UPDATE: 44 hit. Still don't wear glasses but can't read anything without reading glasses. Sigh.)
46. I do not have any tattoos.
47. The only piercing I have is in my ears (and only one on each side).
48. I have several scars on my back from when they thought I might have skin cancer. I didn't. But I do have scars.
49. I have no patience.
50. I've been looking for the perfect red wool coat for most of my life. I haven't found it yet. (I did find a really nice black wool coat, however, to tide me over till then.)
51. If I take a nap, I can’t sleep that night.
52. I don’t sleep well – even under the best circumstances.
53. I love to watch boxing and football.
54. I hate watching golf and basketball. Usually. This year, the San Antonio Spurs and the Miami Heat seemed to make that an exception. Golf...still hate watching that!
55. I am a people person.
56. I always cry at sad movies.
57. My dad made me stop watching Little House on the Prairie when I was little because I cried so much – and he didn’t want me to cry.
58. I have two half-brothers that I haven’t seen in years.
59. I have a half-sister that I have never seen. But she found me online and we talk that way.
60. I would prefer to know a little bit about everything rather than everything about a little bit.
61. I like monkeys.
62. I think New Year’s Eve is the most romantic holiday.
63. Christmas is my favorite holiday. Followed closely by Halloween.
64. I am a movie fanatic.
65. Every time someone touches my iPad, I say, "If you break this, I will not forgive you." (UPDATE: Now everyone has their own and doesn't need to use mine anymore. The only downside is figuring out the charger situation during family travel.)
66. My Internet service is through Comcast.
67. I am always listening to music – unless I’m sleeping or watching a movie.
68. I am creative.
69. I am sarcastic (and it sometimes gets me in trouble).
70. People always think I work wherever they need help.
71. I spend too much time online.
72. I have a burn scar on my leg from a three-wheeler accident in my teens.
73. I always play to win.
74. I usually win.
75. I have very vivid dreams.
76. I have an odd sense of humor.
77. I love to dance.
78. Sunflowers are my favorite flower. But I accept daisies as they are the closest alternative available at florist shops.
79. I am a sucker for personality tests.
80. I have sensitive skin.
81. I am great in a crisis.
82. I am addicted to Google+. And Facebook. And Twitter. Pinterest. Flipboard. Instagram. Blogging. And most all forms of social media.
83. My favorite color is red.
84. I love to write.
85. I love long, hot baths with a cold glass of wine and the music blasting. I have special playlists created just for bath time!
86. I trust people too easily.
87. I played the clarinet in high school.
88. I don’t wear perfume.
89. I learned French in high school.
90. I learned Russian in college.
91. I love Mexican food.
92. I never learned how to water ski, much to the chagrin of my father, who spent a lot of time trying to teach me.
93. I have weak ankles that I sprained quite a bit when younger. I can be walking along and if I step the wrong way, I’ll just fall flat on the ground. But I never break my ankle regardless – I always sprain it all over again.
94. I can do math fairly well in my head.
95. I love bodies of water of any kind – lakes, rivers, streams, seas, oceans, inflatable pools.
96. I hate monotony.
97. I graduated from Gulfport High School in 1987.
98. I adore Godiva chocolates.
99. I still love to roller skate. I have the cutest pair of Skechers skates too.
100. I am usually happy.
- University of Southern MississippiM.A. English, 1989 - 1993
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Community CollegeA.A., 1987 - 1989
- Gulfport High SchoolHigh School Diploma, 1985 - 1987