I’m going to be sponsoring a Little Free Library in our neighborhood. “Take a book, return a book.” I enjoy looking at the pictures of all the little free libraries people have built. Here’s one repurposing a pay phone booth, which is extinct now, of…
- IntraHealth InternationalTechnical Consultant, 2002 - presentI manage software development and documentation for our suite of open source HR information systems under the Capacity Project. I produce content for the HRIS project's websites and blogs, as well as write user manuals, FAQs and informational print materials, and I compiled our project's legacy product, the HRIS Strengthening Implementation Toolkit. While at IntraHealth, I also managed development of internal business systems, the intranet and SharePoint Portal Server, project and corporate websites, and multimedia projects. I participated in the Results and Knowledge Management, the Information Communications and Technology, and the Strategic Planning teams. As a senior IT manager, I have helped develop our organization's technology strategic plans, budgets and policies.
- Self-employedAuthor and Editor, 1994 - 2002Author of 18 nonfiction reference books and several articles on such subjects as the Internet and information technology; software, including end-user and business applications; and college admissions and financing. Editing projects include project development and management, technical editing and copy editing of numerous books and articles. Credits include consulting on a startup publishing venture by the Center for the Public Domain, editorial consulting on architecture textbooks for Design Corps, copy editor for Spectator Magazine, development editor of Earthlink Total WebSite Solution and technical editor of The Internet Companion, among others.
- Self-employedWeb publisher and consultant, 1994 - 2002Provided Website publishing, management and content development services on a contractual basis; credits include Design Corps’ Website, a series of online tutorials for Learnlots.com, Nifty Site of the Week and Online Companions for Ventana Press, and online publications for Editorial Inc.
- Web Content DeveloperDreamTech Enterprises, 1993 - 1994Founding partner in the company. Responsible for Website development, editing of Web-published books, HTML design and managing projects for clients through completion.
- Carolina Academic PressEditor, 1993 - 1994Editor of law and medical textbooks and coordinator of marketing efforts. Responsible for editing and preparing manuscripts for production, working with authors, writing marketing materials and managing direct-mail marketing efforts.
Right now, I am focusing on creating open communities, transforming work, using technology to make the world a better place and always learning. I am most interested in what people are doing to change their world, challenge cultural norms and work toward a better future for everyone.
My interests: Anything geeky: technology, opensource software, social networking. Anything writerly: books, publishing, science fiction. Anything to do with food or cooking. Also liberal politics, the environment, climate change, meerkats. So circle me!
- UNC-Chapel Hill
- NC School of Science and Mathematics