This is huge news, for at least a few reasons:
1. Machine learning is going to have a massive impact on the world. We've already seen that in areas from voice recognition to image understanding to language translation. In many ways, applying machine learning to problems unlocks all kinds of new opportunities. Tons of niches would support specialized startups applying machine learning to specific domains.
2. In the past, Google has released papers like MapReduce, which described a system for massive parallel processing of data. MapReduce spawned entire cottage industries such as Hadoop as smart folks outside Google wrote code to recreate Google's paper. But the results still suffered from a telephone-like effect as outside code ran into issues that may have already been resolved within Google. Now Google is releasing its own code. This offers a massive set of possibilities, without reinventing the wheel.
3. In many ways, machine learning has been an example of "secret sauce." I'm incredibly excited that Google is releasing technology so that the entire world can benefit, not just Google. It's the kind of decision that makes me proud of Google and its people.
Smart people and smart companies often succeed by noticing when something has changed in the world, because change unlocks new opportunities. Well, something has changed. If you're still in school, starting out, or working at a smart company, please think hard about how you could make the world better by applying machine learning to an important issue or a problem that you know well. With TensorFlow now open source, you have a great new tool at your disposal.
Google My Business
Presented by Ramin Jahedi CEO @OpticTour
The Power of Social Media
Presented by Joey McGirr CEO @McGirrEnterprises
The Power of Video
Presented by Mark Wonderlin CEO @MosiacMediaFilms
Presented by Nando Caban-Mendez CEO @AllyDigital
- Hard KnocksSEO and Internet Marketing, 2007 - 2014
- University of PhoenixBusiness, 2010 - 2012
Search Engine Optimizer and Speaker Scott True empowers businesses by improving website visibility through just and truthful SEO practices. His company, True Inbound, not only utilizes legitimate technical optimization practices, but also comes alongside business owners and webmasters to create websites and content that really do attract traffic. Google’s ranking system exists to help people find the most popular, useful results, and there are serious, extremely damaging consequences for businesses that Google identifies as unethical—when Google gives a website a low ranking or de-indexes it altogether, it can take years to rebuild. Scott carries a strong sense of what is right and has a deep value for transparency, and he enjoys being one of the “good guys” in the SEO arena. Shelley Delayne, the Owner of Orange Coworking, says, “Scott True is the embodiment of his last name—honest, straightforward, and true to his word. If he says he'll do something, you can bet he’ll deliver it as promised, probably better.”
Scott lives in Austin but sleeps in Bastrop. When he’s not unraveling the mysteries of SEO, you can find him spending time with his wife and kids, riding motorcycles, traveling, and adventuring in general. He thrives in unfamiliar environments and loves engaging new places without any solid agenda.
- True InboundFounder, 2015 - presentTrue Inbound empowers businesses with just and truthful Search Engine Optimization (SEO) practices. For many, SEO seems at best complicated and mysterious, and at worst, a corrupted metric that requires a fat wallet and a fair amount “working the system.” However, with some intentionality and knowledge, it is possible—and profitable—to legitimately attract web traffic to your business without cutting corners or buying your google rank. True Inbound helps companies to earn real traffic to their sites by practicing SEO strategies clients can admit to and feel good about.
- SEO Strategist, 2011 - 2014
- Scott True MarketingInternet Marketer, 2007 - 2014Helped Real Estate companies with website production, Lead Generation, Online Marketing, Social Media, and Real Estate Transaction Coordination.
- True Dream RealtyOwner/ Online Marketing, 2007 - 2008I founded True Dream Realty® when I got my Real Estate License in 2007. My focus was with the Online Marketing and Lead Generation while my partner was the agent. The company is an agency that helps buyers and sellers in residential Real Estate.
- Hamilton ConstructionOperator, 2000 - 2007
- United States Marine CorpsInfantry Machine Gunner, 1996 - 2000