Guilty. One of the 9%.
Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May")is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride, and to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War.In the state of Puebla, the date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.
9 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 6 previous comments
- To us Mexicans, the big day is September the 16th. That's our equivalent of your July the 4th.
We do commemorate 5 de Mayo but NOT nearly as effusively as you guys do LOL.
Won't mind having a couple of beers tonight though!
Cheers!!May 5, 2012
- The French were sympathetic to the Confederate cause during the Civil War. If they had won the Battle of Puebla, we'd quite possibly be flying a different flag today. Cinco de Mayo is one of the most important American holidays of the year, whether anybody knows it or not. Viva Mexico!May 5, 2012
- Understood that the victory at Puebla wasn't the end of it. France picked up reinforcements and took the capital. Nonetheless Puebla became a sense of pride and perhaps gave France just enough hesitation... a hesitation that was apparently justified as a few years later the Mexicans sent the appointed Emperor Maximilian to the firing squad. A quick win at Puebla could have encouraged France to push through.
To quote the illustrious Mike Tyson... "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." Puebla bloodied their nose.
100% certain? Of course not. Reason enough to celebrate? Hell yeah.
Also, tequila is delicious. Viva Mexico!May 6, 2012
- +Larry Barton and +Joe Cannella know more of our history than an actual Mexican (read... Me!).
Looks like my dish subscription to "The History Channel" is not cutting it! LOLMay 6, 2012
- I'm in the .01% not shown "It's my birthday." ;) They just started celebrating 107 years before I was born! ;)May 8, 2012
- I'm in the .5% and not even remotely latino. Go me?May 8, 2012