The 2012 Election Season is about to end. In a few short hours, the occupant of the Oval Office will be set for the next four years. And we failed.
- If you voted for Obama because you didn't want Romney to win, you failed. That way lies the path of voting out of fear.
- If you voted for Romney because you didn't want Obama to win, you failed. That way lies the same path.
- If you voted for any candidate because they were black or because they were white, you failed. That way lies the path of hypocritical racial bigotry (yes, even if you are voting for a candidate that's not your own race)
- If you voted for a candidate just because they belonged to a specific party, you failed. That way lies the path of inflexible "cliques", whose leaders do your thinking for you.
- If you did not educate yourselves on the truth of muckraking statements, you failed. That way lies the path of laziness-fueled ignorance.
- If you considered at all statements quoted out of context ("If you own a business, you didn't build that", or "My job is not to care about the 47%") and did NOT research to determine full context, you failed. That way lies the path of politician-led railroading.
- If you did not find out on what sources candidates' statement made claims, you failed. That way lies the path of the uneducated subject, not the informed citizen.
- If you believe that your chosen candidate did nothing wrong, or will do nothing wrong, you failed. That way lies the path of the sheeple, not people.
- If you voted based on one particular issue (such as abortion, or gay marriage), and that issue alone, you failed. That way lies the path of ignorance of a complex world.
- If you voted with a write-in ballot of Obi-Wan Kenobi (or similarly silly person/character), you failed. That way lies the path of inaction (i.e., you didn't vote to make your statement heard)
- Similarly, if you voted for a real candidate because you thought it was funny (a.k.a. Roseanne Barr), you failed. That way also lies the path of inaction.
- If you voted for a candidate based on their celebrity status (again, such as Roseanne), you failed. That way lies the vote of popularity, not for the ability to govern.
- If you attempted to influence another's choice, you failed (note that this is different from educating another on an issue or issues), you failed. That way lies the path of manipulation.
- If you voted for a candidate because your friends were voting (or did vote) for him/her, you failed. This way lies the path of the bandwagon, not self intellectualization.
- If you ARE a candidate, and you ran a campaign of muckraking and saying why we shouldn't vote for the other guy, you failed. This is the path of lies and deceit.
- If you ARE a candidate, and you didn't listen to your country's request for details, you failed. That way lies the path of governing by public ignorance.
- If you ARE a candidate, and fail to directly answer questions in interviews (and ESPECIALLY debates!), you have failed. This way lies the path of governance by misdirection.
- And lastly, if you did not vote (and could), you failed. That is path of apathy and laziness.
This means just about everybody in this country failed today. That means myself, too. I've seen to many plan to vote the wrong way. Educate yourselves. Tell your congressmen how you feel. Encourage others to speak their minds (not yours) to their representatives. Vote for you want, not against who you don't. Know the issues, and determine what you can and cannot live with(out).
Presidential elections do NOT have to be about voting for the lesser of two evils. That's only if you let the liberal and conservative media outlets determine your vote. If you've allowed that, you've lost. Vote your heart. Vote your mind. Vote to make the world that place you want. Vote to make the world the place you want your kids to grow up in. If you don't have kids, then vote for your neices, nephews, godchildren, friends' children.
The future does not belong to the children. It belongs to US. WE own it. WE shape it, whether through action or inaction. Give them that. Stop failing. Make the 2016 election count for what it should: We The People.