92 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 20 previous comments
- so would you go for the default theme on each phone? I mean you can't know how your app will look like. Or would you do your own?Jan 12, 2013
- (I've sent you an email in order to continue the discussion and not to take control of Roman's post, please take a look)
The unique branded look can be achieved by replacing png's in the HE lib = 20 seconds.
Include it in all your apps = Unique branding in one line of code!
Doing it yourself without HE will need to open AOSP, pick xml files, extend classes and work 20 hours if you don't know where to look. ;-)Jan 12, 2013
- So reading the link thatposted, it would seem that using Holo everywhere isn't as bad as I thought, and would provide a consistant UI across multiple versions of Android, which my clients will probably feel most comfortable with too.
Thanks everyone for chipping in your thoughts, sorry to hijack the post, although it was Android design related.Jan 12, 2013
- Theming hasn't fundamentally changed since Android's inception. You've always been able to (relatively) easily provide consistency.
I find resources such as the action bar style generator and the holo colors websites which promote customization and differentiation within the bounds of Holo infinitely more useful.
Anyways, I'm done arguing since it's a subjective matter. Eager for the return of the only show to drag Android kicking and screaming from the depths of application design mediocrity.Jan 12, 2013
- I'm using the tools from the Android Asset Studio at the moment, I've always been able to style my apps as you mention, I was just looking for some kind of "confirmation" that using Holo on 2.3 won't be totally frowned upon (e.g. by the people who choose which apps to feature on Google Play).Jan 12, 2013
- if you are (or make an app for) a carrier or other big business with plenty of money and sway then it doesn't matter how far from Android Design Guidelines you stray - you'll still likely have your apps promoted. I say this with jest, but it actually seems to be true :(Jan 13, 2013