1) In both it's dishonest to engage in "black hat" strategies. You also run the chance of getting caught, which brings catastrophic consequences in the open world of the Internet.
2) In both you should make the commitment to do them well, following best practices that are now being established. These best practices are rooted in the idea of providing the best for the community--information, services, links.
3) Be content to be yourself. In both SEO and social media there's a level of effort beyond which its doesn't make sense for a good business to go, and beyond which you may get into trouble. Trying to influence search results and trying to influence people socially are less examples of know the tricks and more examples of "casting your bread upon the waters." In other words, being an honest businessperson providing real value. Beyond doing the best you can, it's up to the audience to respond to the value you provide.
It also occurs to me all of this is also a lot like dating.
But I can't summon the intellectual rigor to declaim on that just now. I leave it to your able imaginations.
Just thought I'd check in and see who's going down, perhaps have a meet-up, drinks or something. Are there any good sessions related to influence marketing? If not, we should pull one together for 2014.
Leave word here and I'll curate a Circle of people. Also, looking for quality roommates for a house near downtown for the duration. Good price/location. Thanks all -RJ
Here's the deck, if you're interested. Thanks-RJ
- SapientNitroGroup Account Director, 2012 - 2013
- Native InstinctPartner, 2010 - 2012
- LBi New YorkStrategic Director, 2006 - 2009
- Knight Ridder NewspapersSVP Product + Technology, 2000 - 2003
- Ikonic/USWebPartner, COO, 1993 - 1999
I'm Rohn Jay Miller and I'm a strategic consultant and designer who works with clients to engage customers on the Social Internet.
For the past twenty years I’ve built digital products, services and content for marketing, e-commerce, and social media. I write and speak on management, digital strategy, online influence, design thinking and social networks. And I blog for Social Media Today. I can be reached at email@example.com.
- USC School of Cinematic Arts -- MFADirecting, 1989 - 1992
- University of MinnesotaJournalism, 1989