I don't care what you say Visnja - I am going to finish that Malcolm Gladwell book I am reading about David and Goliath situations, and even that one about Stoics that you recommended, just to spite you!
What do you guys think? Are business books a waste of time?
Watching TV. Socializing online. Reading feel-good business books for inspiration. All of this is one big waste of time if you're not careful.
I tend to agree with the premise of this article. The author, , in no way says that you should stop reading books. What he does say is that you should stop seeking motivation and inspiration in them at the moment when you should be working, acting, shipping.
Instead of reading over-generalized, feel-good advice from the likes of Seth Godin and Malcolm Gladwell, choose to read actionable advice which is directly connected to your immediate or short term goals.
For example, if you're writing your first book and you need help, read books with practical, hands-on advice about finishing, launching and promoting a book.
Read whatever you want in your spare time. Just don't mistake reading books for work. I know it's easy to rationalize reading as helpful.
I make reading time my reward for being productive during the day. I'm a big fan of routine and I'm now happy to report that I've successfully established a routine which helps me ship at least one 2000-word newsletter every week. I'm still a rookie, but a rookie with a routine. Never before have I tried nor accomplished anything similar.
My routine dictates that my mornings are my creative time which belongs exclusively to writing. After lunch I continue writing and / or working on growing my new software product business.
Only after I'm done writing for the day, I allow myself to do everything else like socialize online and read books, email subscriptions, feeds.
This routine enables me to always feel good about myself at the end of the day. Since writing is 80% of what I should be busy with on any day, I accomplish my goals if I have written anything business-related. And because my days start with writing first, I always make my most productive part of the day useful.
I don't read in the morning.
I don't open Gmail in the morning.
I don't touch social media and Hacker News before afternoon.
If you see me tweeting in the morning, it's either a pre-scheduled tweet or one of my strokes of inspiration I get every time I write.
(Right now, I'm operating without a content calendar. I don't need to think about getting ideas to write about. I simply start writing and my mind generates short posts, tweets and updates on my overarching theme on auto-pilot.)
Books, email and social media are drugs. I create special blocks of time when I am allowed to get high on them. And I don't mistake them for actually working. I know exactly how work looks like. It's me, in my text editor, my hands on the keyboard, and they're moving and typing words.
You're reading my original content. If you want me to personally notify you when I publish more like this, say so in the comments to this post and I'll add you to my special subscribers circle. Thank you :)
#writing #reading #books #entrepreneurship
(notification/email disclaimer: you're receiving this because you personally requested that I notify you when I post original content. Just let me know if you want to stop receiving notifications from me.)
I use the Bacos chips in sauce recipes that require crumbled bacon, such as the stuff I have been making for years that involves tomato juice, bacon, and elbow macaroni, spiced up similar to spaghetti sauce, with some cayenne pepper thrown in for some heat. I do the sauce in a pressure cooker for about 10 minutes, throwing in a whole package of Bacos, a big can of tomato juice, and the herbs & spices. The results are great, with the Bacos taking on not just the flavor of bacon, but the texture, as well (which is why I use the chips and not the bits)
- World-Startups.comFounder, 2011 - presentThis is an community platform designed to enhance collaboration among early stage startups and entrepreneurs. While still under development, it is fully operational and provides a sophisticated matching service that can link entrepreneurs seeking partners and co-founders, as well as match them with the needs of larger organizations. Please see link on this profile for registration or contact me if you would like more information.
- Project Acceleration ServicesOwner, 2011 - 2014Professional service that uses the latest generation of project management and scheduling applications along with collaborative brainstorming to help startups, small business and entrepreneurs accomplish their objectives much more rapidly. This service is an ideal match with my skill set and I would like to do everything I can to help you succeed. Please request a capabilities statement or schedule a Google+ hangout with me if you would like more information There is no charge for any initial consultation.
- Content Creation ServicesOwner, 2011 - 2014Professional service that helps business with their content management, content marketing and content automation needs. I can supply customized content to your blog or website on a regular basis at low cost and with little involvement on your part. Ongoing market research is provided as part of this service and it is ideal as an adjunct to the regular content creation activities of you or your organization. Technical writing and documentation services are also available. Please request a capabilities statement or schedule a Google+ hangout with me f you would like more information There is no charge for any initial consultation.
- California Trade NetworkCo-Founder, 2000 - 2014This is a business portal for exporters and internationally oriented entrepreneurs in the state of California. While this project went dormant for several years, it is currently being relaunched with a new partner at a time of renewed interest.
- Entrepreneurial Collaboration
- Small Business Development
- Startup Venture Acceleration
- Open Source Development
- Collaborative Technologies
- International Business & Trade
- New Economy / Self-Employed
- California Economy and Politics
- Entrepreneur Strategy & AccelerationBusiness Strategy, 2012 - present
- Michigan State University
- San Diego State University
Google+: real life sharing, rethought for the web.
Google+ aims to make sharing on the web more like sharing in real life. Check out Circles, Messenger and Hangouts, just a few of the things
Federal Government Finally Funds Research that Explores Positive Uses of...
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has finally approved the sale of federally grown marijuana for a study that would research
Here’s Why Nobody Likes Your Self-Promoting Facebook Page Anymore
Facebook is ending the free ride, wrote Valleywag’s Sam Biddle in a post that has been greeted with widespread alarm. No, it’s not forcing o
MyCrowd might actually innovate how freelancers are hired - AGBeat
MyCrowd has launched to make sense out of hiring freelancers, and with all of their tech goodies built in, they might actually shake things
7-11 Clerk Says She Was Fired For Giving Freezing Homeless Man A $1 Cup ...
The worker felt compelled to help him after her own recent brush with homelessness.
Find out which tabs and extensions are slowing down Chrome
Find the biggest memory hogs in the Chrome browser
Facebook Could Have Controlled the World by Now. Here’s the One Big Reas...
On May 9, 2008, Facebook won the Internet. Or at least it should have. On that date, in an open letter to the developer community, Dave Mori
This Guy Stopped Charging Clients And He Has Zero Regrets
That guy there, with the incredibly cute baby, is a Philadelphia web designer named Adrian Hoppel. A couple of years ago, he decided that wo
50 Is the New 65: Older Americans Are Getting Booted from Their Jobs -- ...
Age discrimination could be headed for you, much sooner than you think.
:: Authentic Happiness :: Using the new Positive Psychology
Welcome to Authentic Happiness Authentic Happiness is the homepage of Dr. Martin Seligman, Director of the Positive Psychology Center at the
David Simon: 'There are now two Americas. My country is a horror show'
David Simon: Capitalism in America has lost sight of its social compact
The Toxic Smog Cloud Hanging Over Shanghai Looks Just As Bad As It Sounds
Shanghai is notorious for its terrible air quality, but the smog in this Chinese metropolis just hit absurd levels. The government's air pol