I mentioned that this frustrated me because there seemed to be no way to determine in advance how many people you could share a post with through email. "At one time, this was fixed at 100 -and I know people who had carefully curated circles of 100 each for this purpose. Then I remember a while back that without notice or warning, Google reduced this number to 50. There must have be an uproar, because as I recall they reversed this decision about a week later, and sometime after that it was changed so that it was "decided by algorithm". I mentioned that I could only send email notifications to about 70 people and that this was frustrating because there were small business programs I was promoting here where this was a pretty big limitation.
One of the people who commented implied that I must have been "spamming" because he could send email notifications to as many as 500 people. He said that Google determined how many email notifications you can send by how "authoritative" they consider you to be, which of course suggested that Google considered him to be far more authoritative than me.
Honestly I had my doubts - I thought he might not fully understand what an email notification was so I asked if he would send a screenshot showing that he was really able to send email notifications to 500 people through Google+. He did send this screen shot I've attached to this message. I don't think it has any confidential information but since it was shared privately I have removed his picture from the screenshot. It does indeed show that he can send email notifications to up to 500 people, exactly as he claimed.
This is wrong on so many levels I hardly know where to start. First of all, I am not a "spammer". I have only used this feature a few times in the past year, and then only with small, carefully curated circles where I knew everyone - it is unlikely that I got too many "complaints" about this. It might be that "the algorithm" is necessary for search results and things like that, but for human communication is is a detriment. Plus it is just plain unfair. I have nothing against the guy who sent this, but why should he be able to send notifications to 500 people while I can only send to about 70 - it really makes no sense at all.
Google+ is extraordinarily difficult to use for small business purposes. We are not supposed to say that here, but this kind of thing just makes it all the more so.
I almost pinged you on another post where I demonstrated how hashtags also no longer work here, but it isn't as high of a priority to me as this issue.
I have been in that third state - but not very often - perhaps once a year. In it, I am awake - even alert in a way - but don't really care about anything. I usually walk outside. I can still think, but more slowly - it is hard to describe.
This article describes how to conjure this state. Not something I can do in my life at the moment, but it is going on the bucket list.
A crusty old man walks into a bank and says to the woman at the teller window "I want to open a fucking checking account."
The astonished woman replies, "I beg your pardon, sir. I must have misunderstood you. What did you say?"
"Listen up, dammit. I said I want to open a fucking checking account now!"
"I'm very sorry sir, but that kind of language is not tolerated in this bank."
The teller leaves the window and goes over to the bank manager to inform him of her situation. The manager agrees that the teller does not have to listen to that foul language.
They both return to the window and the manager asks the old geezer, "Sir, what seems to be the problem here?"
"There is no fucking problem," the man says. "I just won 50 million bucks in the fucking lottery and I want to open a fucking checking account in this fucking bank."
"I see," says the manager, "and is this fucking bitch giving you a hard time?"
Surely the blame is to be lain firmly at the door of Plussers?
Those of us who are interested in the occasional exchange of opinions and ideas find out very quickly that our most thoughtful posts receive only the smallest fraction of the attention our frivolous ones do!
- Entrepreneur Strategy & AccelerationBusiness Strategy, 2012 - present
- Michigan State University
- San Diego State University
- Entrepreneurial Collaboration
- Small Business Development
- Startup Venture Acceleration
- Open Source Development
- Collaborative Technologies
- International Business & Trade
- New Economy / Self-Employed
- California Economy and Politics
- Action Planning AssociatesOwner, 2011 - presentProfessional service that uses the latest generation of project management and scheduling applications along with collaborative brainstorming to help startups, small business and entrepreneurs accomplish their objectives much more rapidly. Please request a capabilities statement or schedule a Google+ hangout with me if you would like more information There is no charge for any initial consultation.
- World-Startups.comFounder, 2011 - 2014This is an community platform designed to enhance collaboration among early stage startups and entrepreneurs. While still under development, it is fully operational and provides a sophisticated matching service that can link entrepreneurs seeking partners and co-founders, as well as match them with the needs of larger organizations. Please see link on this profile for registration or contact me if you would like more information.
- Content Creation ServicesOwner, 2011 - 2014Professional service that helps business with their content management, content marketing and content automation needs. I can supply customized content to your blog or website on a regular basis at low cost and with little involvement on your part. Ongoing market research is provided as part of this service and it is ideal as an adjunct to the regular content creation activities of you or your organization. Technical writing and documentation services are also available. Please request a capabilities statement or schedule a Google+ hangout with me f you would like more information There is no charge for any initial consultation.
- California Trade NetworkCo-Founder, 2000 - 2014This is a business portal for exporters and internationally oriented entrepreneurs in the state of California. While this project went dormant for several years, it is currently being relaunched with a new partner at a time of renewed interest.
Google Fiber Sends Automated Piracy 'Fines' to Subscribers | TorrentFreak
Google Fiber is forwarding copyright infringement notices to its subscribers including controversial and automated piracy fines. Through the
Google reportedly cutting photo service loose from stagnating Google+
Google+ loses its best feature. The new service should be out at Google I/O.
Prehistoric human migration from Africa - Business Insider
VIDEO: It all began in East Africa.
How a West African shaman helped my schizophrenic son in a way Western m...
Schizophrenics, some believe, are simply a "modern manifestation of prehistoric tribal shamans."
Elon Musk fears Google will build 'a fleet of robots capable of destroyi...
Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk is the furthest thing from a Luddite technophobe we can imagine, but he has nonetheless raised some very legi
This hilarious video will make you so happy you’ll never date Google+, o...
Ever wondered what it would be like to date the personification of your favorite social network? Turns out if that's Google+, it may go pret
Google+ is Testing a New “Collections” Feature That Seems to be Part Pin...
A new feature called Collections is coming soon to Google+, according to sources of ours. While we have limited information about Collection
Elon Musk's first wife explains what it takes to become a billionaire
Justine Musk, the first wife of billionaire...
Google is making a giant change this week that could crush millions of s...
On Tuesday, April 21, Google is making a major...
Google's latest patent could put spoilers to bed - CNET
The search giant is granted a patent for an automatic spoiler blocker for social media.
Google reportedly working on new 'Tablescape' social network for sharing...
Google is working on a new social network community called Tablescape for sharing photos of food, according to a new report from Android Pol
A P2P WebRTC server - inside your browser? What next! - Chris Kranky
Creating a P2P client based server is easy using the WebRTC data channel. Read how 2 Stanford students crafted how to make an "on the fly" s