It started yesterday when I began to receive emails from a certain VoIP company saying that my premium subscription couldn't be renewed because their auto-payment system couldn't authorize payment from my own credit pool.
I contacted their customer service today over IM, and half-way through I figured out what was going on. (If you are interested: The auto-payment system was in a loop where it was charging against a credit balance that wasn't large enough to cover the yearly fee, so it would put $10 in to try and cover the fee and then recharge. It did this 6 times until there was enough credits in the coffer to cover the fee, spitting out an email to me each "dip.") The resulting conversation was...hilarious.
Not convinced it wasn't a robot, but I am pretty sure that "Ryan" was a real person. I admit to being a wee bit of a difficult (i.e. dick) customer, but I wanted to see how far it would go. This short session actually took about 10 minutes in real time because, by the end, I was laughing so hard I could barely type.
This is unedited, except that I removed my user name, account number, etc.
- SparkLabs GlobalVenture Partner, 2013 - present
- Discovery Digital Networks (formerly Revision3)Chief Technology Officer, 2010 - 2013
- 4INFOChief Technology Advisor, 2010 - 2010
- TransperaCTO / Co-Founder, 2007 - 2010
- Third Screen MediaChief Technology Officer, 2006 - 2007
- VerisignEVP of Mobile Engineering (via M-Qube Acquisition), 2005 - 2006
- m-QubeEVP of Engineering, 2003 - 2004
- MediaRushCTO / Co-Founder, 2001 - 2003
- ATGVP of Engineering, 1999 - 2001
- SynaPixSenior Director, 1997 - 1999
- Advanced Visual SystemsDirector, 1995 - 1997
- MIT Lincoln LaboratoriesResearch Scientist, 1990 - 1995
- NASA/JPLResearch Scientist, 1985 - 1990
- University of Wisconsin - MadisonComputer Science, Mathematics, Astrophysics, 1978 - 1984
The Dubai Economy Is Going Nuts, And There's A Surprising New Factor Tha...
Here's a fascinating nugget from SocGen...
It's No Longer True That Android App Developers Are Starving For Revenue...
It finally pays to be an Android app.
Bringing Up Nick: ALIENS! Pulse Rifles, Motion Trackers, and How It Infl...
Welcome to the first episode of Bringing Up Nick, where Adam Sessler guides his painfully movie-illiterate cohort Nick Robinson through the
Twitter Is Made for Mobile, but It Still Has a Mobile Ad Gap
Most of Twitter's users are on mobile, but mobile users makes less money for Twitter. The problem is likely to get worse before it gets bett
Google Glass is shattering: 6 months after launch, multiple reports of b...
Google Glass appears to be living up to its name. At least, the latter half of it. The sexy prototype devices are unexpectedly fragile, brea