Top 5 Threats for an Online Gamer
According to data released by Kaspersky Security Network, everyday more than 7000 attacks are attempted on online gamers all over the world. A majority of these attacks are launched as an attempt for unauthorized access of private data like passwords for the gaming sites or online banking details. As far as online games are concerned hackers mostly concentrate on stealing avatars and in-game items for selling those virtual objects against real money. Experts from Kaspersky Lab also came up with the data that in order to perform the above mentioned activities hackers send more than 10 email a day to online gamers containing malicious links and attachments. In addition to this more than 500 browser based attacks are also attempted everyday for infecting online gamers.
Here is a list of 5 most dangerous threats that an online gamer face.
• Phishinhg: Attracting gamers with fake email notifications those that resemble original, but are actually linked to a different malicious sites is known as phishing. This is actually an attempt for stealing your login credentials and also credit card details which is eventually used for stealing data and money. Most of these fake sites ask online gamers to change or update their user id and passwords for validating their gaming accounts and also threaten them to block their accounts if not complied. As a matter of fact hackers can actually steal an entire gaming account and sell that for money.
• Bullying: A wide number of online games now also include online chats as an essential game feature but unfortunately this tool is also being widely misused by hackers for bullying over other players. If something like this happens the offender should be immediately blocked and should also be reported against.
• Cheaters and Frauds: For every online game there are multiple ways of cheating depending on the type of the game and also gaming rules. Though there are some legitimate cheats, but all cheats available online are not legitimate. Among the worst kinds of cheats available now are modified gaming clients and bots.
• Characters and Inventory Theft: Apart from game resources well developed game characters and paid game accounts are also the primary targets of the hackers. Game characters can actually be stolen in multiple ways like phishing, using advanced password stealing malware products and other types of fraudulent means. As the game progresses and a better game character is developed, players become an easy target for the hackers.
• Computer/Smartphone Compromise: This is one the most dangerous threats for online gamers and can result in compromising the security of all important data stored on a PC or a Smartphone.