Why We Do Non-Chemical Mouse Control

This is a pretty common occurrence for us: We're called to take care of a mouse problem in a house that had been previously treated by either the homeowner or an exterminator using rodenticides (mouse poisons).

The first thing to note is that the homeowners call us at all, which means that the poisoning approach didn't work out too well.

The second thing to note is that the tray in the picture is empty. When you contract with an exterminator who uses poisons, you will make a new lifetime friend. You will be paying that friend to come back and replace the poison for as long as you own the house.

The third thing to consider is that mouse poisons do in fact kill mice. The problem is that the mice don't really "go outside to seek water" to die. That's an old exterminator's tale. (Take it from me. I'm an old exterminator.) The truth of the matter is that most poisoned mice will die -- and stink -- where they live.

One exception is when some other animal eats the mouse between the time it eats the poison and the time it dies, which typically is between two and five days. Most rodenticides exhibit something called secondary toxicity, which basically means that an animal who eats a poisoned mouse may itself be poisoned, depending mainly on how much poison the mouse ate. That animal could be a wild animal, or it could be your pet dog or cat.

The long and short of it is that rodenticides are at best a temporary mouse control measure -- and one that comes with significant drawbacks and safety risks. For safer, more permanent mouse control, call us to talk about our safe, non-chemical, exclusion-based mouse-control solutions.
Photo
Shared publicly