Many of you may be fans of the show The Big Bang Theory. I'm only a recent convert becoming interested only part way through season 9. (Playing catch up from season 1 is both hard work AND fun; but that's another story...) Many of you (most of you?) may not realize that Mayim Bialik's character on the show, Amy, has a real life PhD degree in neuroscience! Same as her character on the show (or vice versa).
Being a technical geek and engineer, I'm not a religious person, tending to believe more in the natural way of things - mother nature if you will. Mayin recently release a video blog (shared below) where she describes her views of what it's like to be both scientist and deeply religious (practicing the Jewish faith) and how she reconciles the seemingly disparate notions of both. One of the best discussions on this topic I've heard. So, if you're interested...
Once the wings go on, they never come off whether they can be seen or not. It fuses to the soul through adversity, fear and adrenaline, and no one who has ever worn them with pride, integrity and guts can ever sleep through the call of the wild that wafts through bedroom windows in the deep of the night.
When a good flyer leaves the job and retires, many are jealous, some are pleased and yet others, who may have already retired, wonder. We wonder if he knows what he is leaving behind, because we already know. We know, for example, that after a lifetime of camaraderie that few experience, it will remain as a longing for those past times. We know in the world of flying, there is a fellowship which lasts long after the flight suits are hung up in the back of the closet. We know even if he throws them away, they will be on him with every step and breath that remains in his life. We also know how the very bearing of the man speaks of what he was and in his heart still is.
Because we flew, we envy no man on earth.
- Iowa State UniversityElectrical Engineering, 1982 - 1984
- University of DubuqueAviation Administration, 1972 - 1974
- Ottumwa High School1967 - 1970
- Retired (sort of)Photographer, Accountant, Manager, Planner, Marketing Executive, Tax Planner, Investor, 2014 - present"Officially" retired since I'm now collecting THE check, but I'm still busy running around with my camera taking pictures of nature, landscapes, and architectural subjects to collect a little extra spending money.
- Panhandle SkyshotsPilot-Photographer, 2000 - present
- UnemployedEngineer/Photographer, 2012 - 2014
- US Air ForceFlight Test Engineer, 1975 - 1998
- ARINCEngineer, 1998 - 2012Engineering management and test supporting the Air Force and Navy.
Stock Technical Analysis: Free Stock Analysis, Chart and Screen for Stoc...
Free US and Canadian stock technical analysis, charts and stock screening tool utilzing techincal analysis techniques such as candlestick ch
Gunn Photography Services | Atlanta Aerial Photography | Aerial Photos
We offer affordable aerial photography for commercial and residential real estate, construction, and engineers in Atlanta Georgia.