Basically, this guy is getting a multi-million dollar reward for being a racist. World. Gone. Mad.
4 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
- Well, no. He got the award for his contributions to science, which were substantial.
The fact that he's a racist is just a really unfortunate bit of trivia. (Not to say it's "trivial")
This isn't me defending his being a racist. People have a hard time accepting contradictory aspects of others, but that's just reality. It's possible for someone to do something really laudable while at the same time being a complete asshole. That's the case here. He's a very old man from a different time which was replete with stupid ideas. Give the devil his due, as they say.Dec 10, 2014
- Can't agree with you on that one. He absolutely deserved to win the Nobel, but freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. If you're going to go around saying that black people are less intelligent than white (which he did), then being shunned by the scientific community and the resulting loss of funding are things to be applauded, in my view. Sure, he deserved the award, but that doesn't mean he deserves to make millions by selling it because no-one likes him very much any more. The reasons no-one likes him are very very good reasons, IMHO.
I don't think it's at all trivial to hear the co-discoverer of DNA propounding racism; I am not sure how you distinguish between "trivia" and "trivial". Yes, he's from a different time when people believed race and intelligence were linked. But to hear someone as pre-eminent as this cling on to those views, even though the DNA he discovered does not support the earlier ideas in any way (race is barely even measurable genetically) only gives fuel to the fire of those other loons that still believe them. It is absolutely right and proper that the scientific community distance themselves from him, lest others take this as tacit agreement with his racism.*
For someone to then give him ~$5 million, as a direct result of his racism (he would not have been selling it otherwise !), well that just ain't right. He was already awarded for the science, this latest gift is essentially given to him for being a bigot.
* EDIT : If he'd been propounding totally unrelated nonsense, like astrology, that might be a different matter.Dec 10, 2014
- I see your point. I'm not sure I agree, but I believe I understand where you're coming from. I'm on my mobile now, otherwise I'd write a better response.Dec 10, 2014
- Haven't read the article, but how sad that he had to sell his medal.
BUT young Rhys, any intelligent person must be a "Racist" even if not as FANTASTICALLY WELL-QUALIFIED as he. Especially in the very subject!!
You would do well to pay him heed, along with ordinary mature thinking adults and not be so childishly rude.
And remember: the political LEFT lives off the young and emotional.
YOUR test is to try and refute the other side's points UNEMOTIONALLY.
Namaste! :-)Jun 26, 2015
- Following your earlier comment this is your first and only warning : do not use my threads to promote racism. I will not stand for it. Not ever.Jun 26, 2015
- You are a typical emotional child yet, Rhys.
How DARE you challenge an intellect of PROVEN and acceptable to the scientific world.
You have been nowhere, done nothing and still are nothing. May never amount to beyond nothing with that childish pretension.
I was wrong about you.
You obviously are no intellect - merely yet another Socialist/communist dupe.
It will be interesting to see if you do leave my considered postings in place - including this one ................ or do you have to be "Right"?
Think on it. Before you react.
I won't be back, you will be safe from any form of discourse.
Jun 28, 2015
- "You are a typical emotional child..."
Irony police, arrest this man.Jun 28, 2015