I'm just going to go on the record and state that I think planet "9" is a silly thing, and a year or two from now no-one will care about it any more.
9 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 8 previous comments
- Would you care to elaborate why it is to be dismissed? I get that it's far from the first time a "new planet is inferred!" but could you explain what makes this time's arguments flimsy?
I've heard about the Kuiper orbits all bunched up and a probe trajectory model that the planet would help, but with no idea what they are worth.Apr 8, 2016
- Mike Brown is no fool. I'm betting that it's there, and that we'll spot it within the next 5 years.Apr 8, 2016
(mainly for the answers to Mike's and Elie's questions)Apr 8, 2016
- It just seems to me that they are making incredibly strong claims from extremely flimsy evidence :
"“It's such a long history of people being basically wrong that standing up and saying we're right this time makes us almost look crazy," Dr Brown said. "Except I'm going to stand up and say we're actually right this time."
That sort of "we're definitely right" attitude may be fine if you're NGT but it's ridiculous if you're doing actual research. Coupled with Brown's self-labelling as a Pluto killer, the word, "grandstanding" leaps to mind like a kangaroo on a trampoline. The current definition of planet is bloomin' daft anyway. This smacks of glory hunting.
Then there's the evidence itself. Six objects. Six ! From which they infer a clustering probability of 0.007% by chance. Yeah.... really ? Seems to me that that's a crazy-small population of objects to draw any firm conclusions from. There could be any number of as-yet undiscovered objects out there which don't show the same clustering. The idea of a giant planet as the only explanation feels like building a house of cards.
#NotImpressedApr 9, 2016
- What about using it as a "sling shot" accelerator for a trip to Alpha Centauri with the NASA EM (kinda, maybe, partial) warp drive?
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/04/evaluating-nasas-futuristic-em-drive/Apr 9, 2016
- what if there are already dino living on that planet?Jun 22, 2017
Add a comment...