#wptips #wordpress #wordpresstips
Great article by Zvonko of Codeforest on WordPress Security. Most of it you probably know, but did you know you could move the wp-config.php file up from the /public_html root directory that is only accessible by those with the "power" and WordPress will still work fine? Sweet tip to protect your login file and date.
In this 5 minute video from the Here's Why series, asks me to explain the new Google+ view counts that show on most profiles and pages.
For more about Google+ view counts, see http://www.stonetemple.com/new-google-plus-views-count-important-metric-or-vanity-of-vanities/
ERIC: So Mark, recently Google+ added view counts to your profile pages and hovercards, right? Why did they do that?
MARK: We now see view counts on Google+ pages and profile. If you go to someone's profile of page, and you look in the upper left-hand corner on the cover photo, you'll see two metrics, if the user chooses to display them. One is a follower count (which we've seen before; it formerly said "people who have you in circles"), and then views.
The new one, though, is the view count, so let's talk about first what that is. What are these views? What we've learned from sources at Google is that it's a total of all of the views of basically three things:
1. Your profile or page, if somebody actually opened that and looked at it.
2. All of your posts.
3. All of your images.
Now with posts and images, it's really what we call in the online world an "impression," meaning that it appeared on someone's screen. It doesn't necessarily mean that they focused on it, that they clicked on it, it just appeared on their screen, even if they were scrolling by. If a post or an image comes by while they're scrolling, that counts as a view, which in part explains why some people's view counts are very large. A lot of people were surprised when they saw their view counts.
So that's basically what it is.
ERIC: Why do you suppose they chose to start displaying this?
MARK: Well, I have a theory about that. I believe that when Google exposes something to us, a piece of data, that they always have an intentionality behind that. They want to give us that information for some reason.
So I pondered about this. Why would they now be emphasizing view counts? Here's what I think. When you look at the view counts, first of all, as I said, for many pages and profiles they're very large, it's a very high number, especially in proportion to the number of followers. So on a very simple level it might be a way of encouraging people who use Google+, that a lot more people are seeing their stuff (potentially) than they might have thought.
Most of us, of course, tend to focus on the information right in front of us. We put up a post, and we got 4 comments and 5 +1's, and, "well, that's that!" What we don't realize is that reshares of that post, or even +1's since last July, can be pushing that post out to hundreds or even thousands of people. That's where those big view numbers came from. So the first thing would be encouragement. Sort of a pat on the back acknowledgement that your reach on Google+ is more than you think.
The second thing is, I think, what I've called Google User Behavior Modification (GUBM). They use these metrics, they put out information, because they want us to change our behavior. I believe that they want to see less concentration on people just chasing after follower numbers, which can be gamed in various ways. People buy fake followers or get massive circle shares schemes going.
In order to get a view count, you actually have to be posting something on Google+. You have to be putting up posts or images. You have an incentive to do posts or images that people will want to engage with, that they'll reshare, that they'll +1, so that view count goes up. So they're pushing engagement.
ERIC: So the first part was really a marketing piece, which is, "let's show that Google+ has a lot of value." That's like seeing a lot of page views or impressions, as you said. So that's interesting, and then the second part is, OK, let's put some reality in the system, so that people can compare impression or view counts, and get less focused on this
follower count, because too many people are gaming that.
MARK: And that's better for the users, and better for Google. If users are happy, if they're seeing content going by in their streams, they're going to feel better about Google+, they're going to want to use it. It overcomes that "ghost town" image that Google+ has had in the past. So it's pushing a win-win that they hope will be for the benefit of both the users and the network itself.
Keep up to date with Stone Temple Consulting's constant updates on what works (and what doesn't!) in digital marketing!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel and get updates on future Here's Why videos, as well as our two weekly Hangout shows: The Digital Marketing Answers Show and the Digital Marketing Excellence Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/stonetemplecons
Follow Eric on Twitter: http://twitter.com/stonetemple
Follow Mark on Twitter: http://twitter.com/marktraphagen
Follow Stone Temple Consulting on Google+: http://google.com/+stonetemple
Actual Link: http://guardianservices.biz/maintaining-your-radon-mitigation-system/
1. Who Should You Circle?: goo.gl/RoNPvA
2. Make use of Google+ tours: goo.gl/c5RZFy
3. Photos: goo.gl/fF6lth
4. Save posts, articles and ideas on G+: goo.gl/WSN8Ov
5. 3 steps to more privacy on your G+ profile: goo.gl/u3I3Wv
6. Actively managing your community membership: goo.gl/TVymDg
7. How to explore and join Communities: goo.gl/zL2pl3
8. How to send feedback on G+: goo.gl/VvLWoX
9. Make Your G+ Photos “Auto Awesome”: goo.gl/UdahMn
10. Automatically share your blog posts to Google+: goo.gl/sHDbhm
11. Ways to use Google+ photo editing: goo.gl/Byk90r
12. Let hashtags find fun posts for you: goo.gl/MWWD4i
13. Make your Communities happier and healthier: goo.gl/DoByrf
14. Do More with Your Photos From Auto Backup: goo.gl/f9WFRJ
15. Search your own photos -> goo.gl/VB3ZEU
16. How to delete your Auto Backup photos -> goo.gl/oTO6Eq
17. Google Photos app is one-tap access to your Google+ Photos: goo.gl/jJ2Dma
18. How to post publicly, to your circles, or to a community: goo.gl/5NTmUo
19. Share an album with someone not yet on G+: goo.gl/M9RJDR
20. How to restore photos from Trash: goo.gl/hpgp3c
21. How to adjust the mix of posts in your Home stream: goo.gl/4XCqy4
22. Follow your favorite YouTube channel on Google+: goo.gl/RgsI55
. Join Google+ Help community: plus.google.com/u/0/communities/115758385206378551362
Included in the round up are some of my faves too!
Read it all here: http://12most.com/2014/07/01/12-budget-friendly-social-media-tools/
Pin it for later: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/232779874464574780/
1) Despite people complaining about reduced organic reach, Facebook is still the leader in sending referral traffic and referral traffic from Facebook has even grown over the past few months.
2) Pinterest is now the #2 referrer of traffic and has grown 48% since December.
3) Stumbleupon is another winner and their referral traffic also increased by 14.9%.
Some key takeaways - Don't give up on Facebook marketing just yet and pay attention to Pinterest.
For my friends who don't know these amazing ladies ~ Sue is a breast cancer survivor who offers Solidea compression wear that can help you solve issues such as: #Lymphedema, #Lipedema, #Edema, #Cellulite, #Varicosities, Tired & Achy Legs.
Read Sue's story and check out these amazing products for #CANCER survivors >> http://www.solideamedical.com/index.php/about-us
- Social Solutions with Rebecca WardlowSocial Media Strategist, Educator & Speaker, 2011 - presentMy passion is to help small to medium size businesses understand how to use social media to create an online presence that will build relationships with potential and existing customers. The end result is enabling you to grow your business using this thing we call social media. My background since 1998 stems from website design and development. I can handle any WordPress or Magento eCommerce project that you have. Let me know how I can help you! Feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out the course's Rebecca offers:http://rebeccawardlow.com/index.php/courses/
- Kishwaukee CollegeBusiness & Marketing, 2011 - 2014
Social Solutions with Rebecca Wardlow 3 Great Entrepreneurs Who Teach Go...
Do you want to learn more about Google Plus? Check out these three amazing entrepreneurs who teach Google Plus.
4 Practical Ways to Show Up In Search - Shannon J. Hernandez
Want to know how to show up in a Google search? This post gives you 4 practical ways to start indexing faster on Google.
Social Solutions with Rebecca Wardlow 5 Tools For Amazing Facebook Contests
Facebook contests are a great way to engage and grow your audience. Using tools and apps can help make the whole process run smoother.
Man with awesome dance moves will amaze you (VIDEO)
Man with awesome dance moves will amaze you.
Leverage Your "Social" Media Efforts with Google+ and Other Networks - S...
Socializing on Google+ (or any network) can prove to be valuable if choose to make the step forward to your own success.
Social Solutions with Rebecca Wardlow 7 Reasons Google Plus Is A Better ...
Google+ is Google .... period! Not only is Google Plus a social network, it's a social layer that is part of Google's plan to integrate thei
Google Plus Private Hangouts Can Be Recorded with YouTubeSocial Solution...
Google Plus Private Video Hangouts can now be recorded using the new YouTube Live Events feature.
Top 7 Ways To Market And Build Your Brand On Google+
Are you still ignoring Google+? Google+ is not just some new social network! It is the second largest social network with over 359 million a