Requests to Join this Community
As we near 50,000 members we are revisiting what we are doing here and how we can create more value for our members. You will see the moderators rolling out new guides, FAQs, opportunities, Hangouts, and more. You are welcome to offer suggestions as well - just contact any moderator!When people submit a request to join we will be looking for the following on their profile, business page, and/or hovercard:
• A real name and/or business name
• A profile picture and/or business logo
• Completed profile and ‘About’ section
• Evidence of a business one owns/is connected with, such as the company name, location, address, phone, website, what the person/the business does, etc.
• Their posts should have value and not be all promotional. (While one can post as they choose on their own profile/page, we have found members who make only promotional posts also tend to think they can do the same within our community.)
• A statement saying 'entrepreneur' or 'self-employed' is not enough. Most business people use their company name because they want others to see that they own/have a role in that company. At the very least, the profile should state what the person does. For example, 'web designer' or 'copywriter' if there is no company name.
• In the case of a student or future business owner; something on the profile should indicate a plan to start a business.
• Existing members are grandfathered in unless they violate Community Guidelines, in which case they will be removed from membership.
• Membership requests that are not approved may be cancelled and resubmitted once they meet the above guidelines.Reason:
Up until now we have been very liberal in allowing nearly everyone in. We wanted this to be the global business community for all. Unfortunately this has resulted in scores or hundreds of posts made here every single day
that are either (1) flagged by Google’s algorithms and placed in our spam folder or
(2) do not meet the Community Guidelines and must therefore be removed.
Tighter join requirements are expected to improve the overall quality of the membership by restricting it to those who show on their profile or business page that they really are a business owner, entrepreneur, freelancer, self-employed, etc.Effective:
On behalf of your moderators,+Rob Gordon +Mike Bayes +Gina Fiedel +Paul Maplesden +SP Miller +Rebecca Quinn +Stephanie Sims +Laurie Varga