100 have him in circles
Works at Consulting
Attends Washington State University
Lived in Pullman, Washington
100 have him in circles
High Performance Computing Systems Administrator (Super Computing)
Linux Systems Administration, PHP Web Development, MySQL, Postgresql, Python, Systems Architecture, Security
- Consulting2010 - present-Build highly customized Magento/Drupal/Wordpress/Yii solutions for clients. Current work includes http://www.stuckincustoms.com, http://store.stuckincustoms.com and http://www.hdrspotting.com/. Experience with Wordpress includes building modules and customizing themes. Conversion of http://www.phenforum.com to Drupal 7 where I built custom theme templates to format the output of views. Debugging PHP applications using XDebug, generating core dumps and using gdb to analyze core dumps to diagnose problems. Manage security for PHP/Wordpress installations. Manage MySQL relational database management system to support Wordpress implementations and additionally support high availability MySQL using replication. Integrate with a variety of web services including OAUTH, SAML, Google APIs such as Google Maps. Expertise in building highly scalable web applications using a variety of cloud technologies including Amazon S3 and Amazon CloudFront. Building custom LAMP stacks to support low latency, high performance web environments including using Apache/Nginx Fast-CGI and PHP-FPM. DNS administration through a variety of Hosting Providers. Configuration virtual domain hosting using Postfix Mail Servers. Expertise with working with cloud providers to build out virtual infrastructure in the cloud. Utilizing GitHub for source code management and project management tools such as Basecamp. Implementation of high performance analytics engine using Python and MySQL. Utilize Google Analytics, Google Page Speed and Google Webmaster tools to perform search engine optimization and user experience optimization. Coordinate projects with developers from all over the world.
- Washington State UniversityLab Manager, 2012 - presentImplemented http://smarthome.ailab.wsu.edu where I am building a series of custom drupal modules to facilitate a Smart Home in a Box project where we accept applications for a Smart Home in a Box and eventually will provide an interactive interface to the data. Manage and maintain a variety of Drupal 6 sites which I will be converting to Drupal 7 shortly. Implement Puppet to manage a large number of Linux systems. Implement enterprise backup system using Bacula to meet requirements for a 10 year data retention policy. Implement a 200TB ZFS storage solution to accommodate storage of large amounts of atmospheric research data.
- Washington State UniversityHigh Performance Computing Administrator, 2010 - 2013Manage and mentor a development team comprised of WSU Students in order to support the Cougar Manager time tracking system. Implement a custom an internal Drupal site to provide documentation for a high performance computing environment and implemented a custom active directory authentication module. Part of a team responsible for implementing an enterprise wide Zabbix based monitoring solution where I was able to contribute expertise in performance management, MySQL database implementation and administration. Instrumental in forming collaborative relationships with research faculty and Information Services including the WSU Genomics Core. Implemented Puppet and MCollective as part of a pilot project to automate systems administration tasks. Implemented Codendi project software project management platform in order to support diverse array of development projects throughout the IS organization while providing a standardized platform to manage code. Manage and maintain a 1968 core High Performance Computing Cluster based on Redhat EL 5 using Infiniband interconnects with Global Parallel File System. Manage Moab and Torque scheduling/resource management applications. Support XCat provisioning and management tools for high performance computing. Install and document research applications. Support and maintain Redhat Enterprise Linux. Build systems automation scripts using Python and BASH. Compiling and optimization of system codes using Intel compiler suite and GCC. Debugging of software using strace, dbg, and valgrind. Providing top notch customer experience for WSU Researchers including understanding their challenges and developing innovative ways to solve those problems. Development of end user policy documentation. Support over 70 Terabytes of IBM General Parallel File System (GPFS). Design and develop web based applications to provide tools to researchers.
- Washington State UniversityUnix Systems Administrator, 2006 - 2010Manage and mentor student employees. Solely responsible for developing, managing, and providing performance tuning of a sixty node High Performance Computing Cluster running on Linux, Sun Grid Engine, and Torque/Maui. Work closely with researchers to obtain technology requirements to customize the High Performance Computing Cluster environment for optimal efficiency and usability. Support and manage MPI implementations, including OpenMPI and MPICH2, and provide integration with with Sun Grid Engine. Proficient in using Gnu Compiler Collection to build platform optimized binaries. Expert knowledge managing Redhat and Debian Linux distributions, including building customized packages, kernel modifications, file system management, performance tuning and security. Experience implementing and managing Solaris 10 operating system supporting large Oracle 10g database implementation. Design and develop high performance computing integration tools facilitating convenient access via web services using Perl, Java, and PHP. Knowledgeable in implementing clustered file systems including Lustre, Glusterfs, and PVFS. Working knowledge of High Performance Computing schedulers and resource managers including Sun Grid Engine and Torque/Maui. Experience implementing monitoring tools such as Ganglia and Nagios to monitor node availability and performance. Implement system automation tasks using Cron written in Perl and BASH. Responsible for managing server system hardware including fiber channel attached storage, enterprise grade server hardware (HP, SUN), and HP Procurve Managed Switches. Design, implement, and manage security for a large server environment comprised of over seventy servers including firewall configuration, user account management, file system permissions, and responding to security incidents. Experience managing NFS and Samba in an enterprise environment. Solely responsible for implementing LDAP in a large Linux/Solaris environment to centralize account management. Working knowledge of Apache web server configuration, performance tuning, and high availability. Implement and manage Oracle 10g and Postgresql relational database management systems in an enterprise environment, including performing data normalization, managing security, planning backup and recovery, and database tuning. Manage backup and recovery for approximately ten Terrabytes of data. Design, Implement and enhance Drupal Websites including http://www.bioinfo.wsu.edu, http://www.rosaceae.org/, http://www.rosbreed.org/, and http://www.cacaogenomedb.org/. Develop web based applications in PHP, Perl, and Java. Manage Apache, Nginx, and Tomcat web application servers in a high availability configuration using HAProxy.
- Idaho Department of Health and WelfareJava Developer, 2005 - 2006Administered BEA Weblogic Servers in a clustered environment. Configured and maintained a high availability IIS Web Farm. Integrated applications with the Thunderstone Search appliance using C# and RESTful web services. Used software code management tools including Visual Source Safe and CVS. Developed and maintained Java application code. Managed Oracle 9i on windows platform including performance tuning, backup and recovery.
- Ada County, IdahoGeographic Systems Analyst, 2001 - 2005Was personally responsible for designing and developing Idaho's first wev vased Property Information System for Ada County using Tomcat, Linux, ArcIMS, and Microsoft SQL Server. Implemented and maintained Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2000 to support a large GIS environment. Designed and developed GIS tools using C#, Visual Basic, and Transact SQL. Designed and developed C++ client server based applications in a team environment. Created and maintained technical documentation. Provided application support for end users.
- University of IdahoHelp Desk, 1999 - 2001Provided technical support for Windows NT/2000 HP-Unix, and Novell Netware while ensuring a high level of customer service for faculty, staff, and students in a higher education environment. Provided web design training to faculty, staff and students. Troubleshoot complex networking problems using common Unix tools.
I do cool stuff with computers
I enjoy helping people overcome technical challenges in order to reach their goals. I have been blessed with many opportunities in my life including working with top researchers in the areas of super computing, data analysis and building end to end solutions to achieve success.
Additionally I have worked with businesses to assist with technical challenges including building out complex cloud architectures to support growing web presence and providing guidance with regards to technology direction.
Outside of work, I enjoy my family, photography and the outdoors.
- Washington State UniversityUndeclared, 2006 - present
- University of IdahoEnvironmental Science, 1994 - 1998
- University of IdahoInformation Systems, 1999 - 2001