Start a hangout
219 followers|139,912 views
Works at Consulting
Attends Washington State University
Lived in Pullman, Washington
219 followers|139,912 views
More rainy day macro photography. The leaves are so brilliant with their vibrant colors, even for a rainy day such as today on the Palouse at Washington State University. While out taking photos, a crowd of moms and dads touring campus past by giving me questionable looks as if I were a crazy man. They are mostly correct! However I did manage to snap a few good photos between bursts of wind and intense rain showers.
More Steptoe Butte
Ownership of the summit and a large part of the western slope was for some years held by Mr. James H. Davis, a pioneer, who became widely known under the pseudonym of “Cash-up” Davis. In 1888, Mr. Davis, who was a man of keen business propensities, conceived the idea of making a resort of the butte, and accordingly erected a large, two-story frame building upon its summit.
When you have been at WSU long enough you witness a lot of change. Now almost to my ten year mark at Washington State University, living on the Palouse, one change that always remains vivid in my memory is the day this big bronze cougar arrived at WSU. I was working in Johnson Hall, and a big Semi-Truck pulls up on Stadium Way with the bronze cougar on a long flatbed trailer. The cougar was installed later that day. The bronze cougar was manufact...
Sometimes, when out shooting photos, you see interesting things, like mushrooms growing in the lawn. Often we discount their significance, because after all, they are a fungus. However, looking closely, mushrooms have interesting features, such as their texture and their shape. Additionally, mushrooms have a very short lifespan and conditions must be just right for them to grow. So catching them like this is just nothing more than luck.
Soon the weather will change in Pullman, the remaining leaves will fall from the trees and we once again embark on the cloudy months ahead that render Pullman a place of perpetual gray. Only the spring, with the green fields of the Palouse will mark the end of drab colored Palouse. Although we may have some sunny snowy days, but those are rare. Enjoy!
On the roof top of the WSU Terrell library, you will find students in the early fall and late spring enjoying the warm weather and the fantastic views. Right next the to the Terrell Mall and Compton Union Building it is a short walk to this fantastic location. Definitely a must see location if you are on your way to get coffee.
In the morning the sunlight hits buildings at interesting angles resulting in very unique lighting opportunities. Here is a picture of Byran Hall at Washington State University just as the light is starting to spill over the roof. The lens flare can create an interesting, and sometimes desirable effect. Different lens control flare in different ways. This picture was taken with a Rokinon 14MM Sony E Mount lens, at F16. The Rokinon does not handle...
From what I can tell, this building was constructed in 1935 at the base of college hill in Pullman Washington. Railroad tracks run to the plant where coal could be delivered to provide fuel. You can see the black coal dust that around the loading docks. The plant was constructed as part of a WPA (Works Progress Administration) created in 1935 to create jobs for unemployed Americans as part of the "New Deal" legislation.
High Performance Computing Systems Administrator (Super Computing)
Linux Systems Administration, PHP Web Development, MySQL, Postgresql, Python, Systems Architecture, Security
- Consulting2010 - present-Build highly customized Magento/Drupal/Wordpress/Yii solutions for clients. Current work includes http://www.stuckincustoms.com, http://store.stuckincustoms.com and http://www.hdrspotting.com/. Experience with Wordpress includes building modules and customizing themes. Conversion of http://www.phenforum.com to Drupal 7 where I built custom theme templates to format the output of views. Debugging PHP applications using XDebug, generating core dumps and using gdb to analyze core dumps to diagnose problems. Manage security for PHP/Wordpress installations. Manage MySQL relational database management system to support Wordpress implementations and additionally support high availability MySQL using replication. Integrate with a variety of web services including OAUTH, SAML, Google APIs such as Google Maps. Expertise in building highly scalable web applications using a variety of cloud technologies including Amazon S3 and Amazon CloudFront. Building custom LAMP stacks to support low latency, high performance web environments including using Apache/Nginx Fast-CGI and PHP-FPM. DNS administration through a variety of Hosting Providers. Configuration virtual domain hosting using Postfix Mail Servers. Expertise with working with cloud providers to build out virtual infrastructure in the cloud. Utilizing GitHub for source code management and project management tools such as Basecamp. Implementation of high performance analytics engine using Python and MySQL. Utilize Google Analytics, Google Page Speed and Google Webmaster tools to perform search engine optimization and user experience optimization. Coordinate projects with developers from all over the world.
- Washington State UniversityLab Manager, 2012 - presentImplemented http://smarthome.ailab.wsu.edu where I am building a series of custom drupal modules to facilitate a Smart Home in a Box project where we accept applications for a Smart Home in a Box and eventually will provide an interactive interface to the data. Manage and maintain a variety of Drupal 6 sites which I will be converting to Drupal 7 shortly. Implement Puppet to manage a large number of Linux systems. Implement enterprise backup system using Bacula to meet requirements for a 10 year data retention policy. Implement a 200TB ZFS storage solution to accommodate storage of large amounts of atmospheric research data.
- Washington State UniversityHigh Performance Computing Administrator, 2010 - 2013Manage and mentor a development team comprised of WSU Students in order to support the Cougar Manager time tracking system. Implement a custom an internal Drupal site to provide documentation for a high performance computing environment and implemented a custom active directory authentication module. Part of a team responsible for implementing an enterprise wide Zabbix based monitoring solution where I was able to contribute expertise in performance management, MySQL database implementation and administration. Instrumental in forming collaborative relationships with research faculty and Information Services including the WSU Genomics Core. Implemented Puppet and MCollective as part of a pilot project to automate systems administration tasks. Implemented Codendi project software project management platform in order to support diverse array of development projects throughout the IS organization while providing a standardized platform to manage code. Manage and maintain a 1968 core High Performance Computing Cluster based on Redhat EL 5 using Infiniband interconnects with Global Parallel File System. Manage Moab and Torque scheduling/resource management applications. Support XCat provisioning and management tools for high performance computing. Install and document research applications. Support and maintain Redhat Enterprise Linux. Build systems automation scripts using Python and BASH. Compiling and optimization of system codes using Intel compiler suite and GCC. Debugging of software using strace, dbg, and valgrind. Providing top notch customer experience for WSU Researchers including understanding their challenges and developing innovative ways to solve those problems. Development of end user policy documentation. Support over 70 Terabytes of IBM General Parallel File System (GPFS). Design and develop web based applications to provide tools to researchers.
- Washington State UniversityUnix Systems Administrator, 2006 - 2010Manage and mentor student employees. Solely responsible for developing, managing, and providing performance tuning of a sixty node High Performance Computing Cluster running on Linux, Sun Grid Engine, and Torque/Maui. Work closely with researchers to obtain technology requirements to customize the High Performance Computing Cluster environment for optimal efficiency and usability. Support and manage MPI implementations, including OpenMPI and MPICH2, and provide integration with with Sun Grid Engine. Proficient in using Gnu Compiler Collection to build platform optimized binaries. Expert knowledge managing Redhat and Debian Linux distributions, including building customized packages, kernel modifications, file system management, performance tuning and security. Experience implementing and managing Solaris 10 operating system supporting large Oracle 10g database implementation. Design and develop high performance computing integration tools facilitating convenient access via web services using Perl, Java, and PHP. Knowledgeable in implementing clustered file systems including Lustre, Glusterfs, and PVFS. Working knowledge of High Performance Computing schedulers and resource managers including Sun Grid Engine and Torque/Maui. Experience implementing monitoring tools such as Ganglia and Nagios to monitor node availability and performance. Implement system automation tasks using Cron written in Perl and BASH. Responsible for managing server system hardware including fiber channel attached storage, enterprise grade server hardware (HP, SUN), and HP Procurve Managed Switches. Design, implement, and manage security for a large server environment comprised of over seventy servers including firewall configuration, user account management, file system permissions, and responding to security incidents. Experience managing NFS and Samba in an enterprise environment. Solely responsible for implementing LDAP in a large Linux/Solaris environment to centralize account management. Working knowledge of Apache web server configuration, performance tuning, and high availability. Implement and manage Oracle 10g and Postgresql relational database management systems in an enterprise environment, including performing data normalization, managing security, planning backup and recovery, and database tuning. Manage backup and recovery for approximately ten Terrabytes of data. Design, Implement and enhance Drupal Websites including http://www.bioinfo.wsu.edu, http://www.rosaceae.org/, http://www.rosbreed.org/, and http://www.cacaogenomedb.org/. Develop web based applications in PHP, Perl, and Java. Manage Apache, Nginx, and Tomcat web application servers in a high availability configuration using HAProxy.
- Idaho Department of Health and WelfareJava Developer, 2005 - 2006Administered BEA Weblogic Servers in a clustered environment. Configured and maintained a high availability IIS Web Farm. Integrated applications with the Thunderstone Search appliance using C# and RESTful web services. Used software code management tools including Visual Source Safe and CVS. Developed and maintained Java application code. Managed Oracle 9i on windows platform including performance tuning, backup and recovery.
- Ada County, IdahoGeographic Systems Analyst, 2001 - 2005Was personally responsible for designing and developing Idaho's first wev vased Property Information System for Ada County using Tomcat, Linux, ArcIMS, and Microsoft SQL Server. Implemented and maintained Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2000 to support a large GIS environment. Designed and developed GIS tools using C#, Visual Basic, and Transact SQL. Designed and developed C++ client server based applications in a team environment. Created and maintained technical documentation. Provided application support for end users.
- University of IdahoHelp Desk, 1999 - 2001Provided technical support for Windows NT/2000 HP-Unix, and Novell Netware while ensuring a high level of customer service for faculty, staff, and students in a higher education environment. Provided web design training to faculty, staff and students. Troubleshoot complex networking problems using common Unix tools.
I do cool stuff with computers
I enjoy helping people overcome technical challenges in order to reach their goals. I have been blessed with many opportunities in my life including working with top researchers in the areas of super computing, data analysis and building end to end solutions to achieve success.
Additionally I have worked with businesses to assist with technical challenges including building out complex cloud architectures to support growing web presence and providing guidance with regards to technology direction.
Outside of work, I enjoy my family, photography and the outdoors.
- Washington State UniversityUndeclared, 2006 - present
- University of IdahoEnvironmental Science, 1994 - 1998
- University of IdahoInformation Systems, 1999 - 2001