"Algorithm problems for dummies" does not feel like the right name for http://petr-mitrichev.blogspot.com/ , and might even be offensive for the readers. What would be a good new name for the blog? Feel free to offer alternative suggestions in comments!
19 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 5 previous comments
- Petrifying Algorithms? :DOct 21, 2014
- Petr Algorithm NewsOct 21, 2014
- AlgoholicOct 21, 2014
- Yeah, that's a valid point. Let me comment on the "sadly" part :) I think it's a combination of two things.
First, in most cases the solutions are explained quite well in the contest editorials, and I don't believe there's much sense in explaining them once again in my blog.
On the other hand, properly explaining a solution takes a really long time. For example, this post looks quite short: http://petr-mitrichev.blogspot.ru/2013/12/the-decisive-topcoder-open-finals-hard.html - but I remember that it has taken me several hours to put together.
So with my weekly posts I try to use my limited time to cover something that you won't find in other places, like my impressions from the contests and interesting tricks that I encounter while solving them. To address your specific quote, my hope was that one could read the problem statement linked from my post, try to solve it, and then possibly read the editorial to understand the solution - I don't see how I could've added value beyond just providing links here :)Oct 21, 2014
- Thanks for mentioning - come to think of it, I agree with you. Let's have a second round of voting next week pitting "Algorithms weekly" against some more crazy ones.
Of course, my imagination might not be enough to come up with crazy names, so keep the suggestions coming :)
"nlogn@1"?Oct 21, 2014
- Take care of choosing a too restrictive name. "Algorithms Weekly" might suggest you only post weekly and only about algorithmic problems.
Probably you'd want to just be able to post anything that comes to mind. At least I think a blog should foremost be personal.
For comparison, Terence Tao's blog is called "What's New". David Eppstein's is called "0xde".
Just my two cents :)Oct 21, 2014