Over the long term, I believe that the best way to grow personal wealth is through responsible investing - Putting money into high-quality funds and letting them accrue value over time.
Although I know that many people prefer to just stick to retirement funds, ETFs or simple index trackers, I also think that there's value to be found in building a portfolio of decent, well-valued individual stocks. Recently, I've been using an app called 'Simply Wall Street' to find discounted, quality stocks to invest in.
I've written a series of three blog posts on the approach that I am taking, my investment philosophy and the stocks that I have chosen as a result of my research. I'm also providing public access to my portfolio so that people can track my performance.
The three blog posts are:
Me, Simply Wall St and a $30,000 experiment - https://medium.com/stock-market-101/me-simply-wall-st-and-a-30-000-experiment-2911a5ba3798 - In which I discuss:
- The importance of a healthy approach to investing (having an emergency fund disposable income, risk mgt)
- A little more about Simply Wall Street
Diamonds in the Rough — Finding Good Investments - https://medium.com/stock-market-101/diamonds-in-the-rough-finding-good-investments-fceae318bc0e - In which I discuss:
- The importance of having a good investing strategy
- The foundations of a good strategy
- My personal approach to investing (strong financial health, paying a dividend, good value, proven track record)
Finding $30,000 of value in the stock market — Picking the right stocks - https://medium.com/stock-market-101/finding-30-000-of-value-in-the-stock-market-picking-the-right-stocks-78782dc289ec - In which I discuss:
- How do you find deep value in the stock market?
- How I picked stocks to invest in
- The stocks that I picked and why I picked them
- Providing a publicly shared portfolio spreadsheet so that you can track my progress
My hope is that through sharing all of this openly that I can demonstrate that a measured, objective, research-based approach to investing can help us build wealth.
While I know that ETFs, index funds and other instruments will still be preferable to the majority of investors, I hope that those of you investing in individual companies will find something worthwhile here.
TL;DR: I'm investing $30,000 of my own money into individual, deep-value stocks that I have researched and sharing what I am doing in the hope that it's useful to other people here.
I am very happy to answer any questions and take feedback.
#investing #stockmarket #finance