(Thanks to http://elanormal.com/posts/28051-rumor-mill-heats-up-again-for-discovery-of-gravitational-waves for keeping a copy, where you can find the usual warnings that this is not confirmed or released etc.)
Personally, I would be totally :-D if the team put the paper on the arXiv, like all other sensible astrophysicists did. I don't think the glossy mags would pass up a chance to publish one of the major findings in physics merely because there was a preprint, no?
Madness, I tell you!
The new FlashFire update is finally here! This is the first version of FlashFire compatible with Android 6.0, and yes, it does OTAs!
Note that this update focuses mainly on Nexus devices and their capabilities, since most of my other devices aren't up to 6.0 yet.
Nexus OTAs and root
If you are using SuperSU in systemless mode (the default) on Android 6.0, and you haven't modified the kernel, /system or /vendor, just let Android download the update, but instead of clicking install, open FlashFire.
If all goes as planned, FlashFire will detect the OTA, and offer to generate the actions for you. Just hit "Flash" afterwards, take a minute to make an offering to your deity of choice, et voila! Booted and rooted.
I've personally tested this procedure going from the earliest 6.0 version, OTAing in several steps to the very latest update, while keeping root, on the Nexus 5, 5X, 6, 6P, and 9. The Player (because X86) and Pixel C (because ChromeOS leftovers) are currently not supported.
There have also been significant improvements to flashing full firmware archives (and rooting in the process). Several more archive formats are now supported, as well as several more partitions.
However, please do not flash any of the new BETA Samsung 6.0 firmwares with this yet unless you are expecting to soft-brick and/or lose all your data. They are hard to flash and prone to (soft)bricking even with Odin and need more testing.
Please note that backup and restore have not been tested as extensively yet on 6.0 as flashing OTAs and firmwares. There haven't been any specific issues with this during testing either, though.
Many users had trouble flashing Omni, CM, and their derivatives on old FlashFire versions. A number of issues influencing this have been fixed, and I've flashed Omni and CM to several devices without issue. However, you should position a Wipe action before the ZIP flash, and make sure the "Mount /system read/write" option is enabled.
The UI does note both these things, but people rarely read. I don't even know why I'm writing this :)
I expect to release another update rather soon, as there are some more small things I would really like to adjust/fix ASAP. However, today is OTA day, so here we are.
You can follow the link in the box below this post to give Google's awkward beta system a try, and see if you can convince Google Play to give you the download. I have seen this work once, I swear. (Seriously, I do recommend doing this, though it may still be offering you v0.24 for a few hours).
For this once, I've also made the APK available from my own server, though you shouldn't consider this a permalink: https://download.chainfire.eu/898/FlashFire/FlashFire-v0.26-20160202001009.apk
There will be many. This is a fairly massive update to a fairly complex tool that runs on a fair number of different firmwares and devices, doing pretty much exclusively things that fall outside of the supported API. Things are going to break, and you get to keep all the pieces.
As Google+ comments invariably turn into a beepfest of spam and foreign languages, I mostly ignore them. As usual, the thread on XDA is where it's going on: http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/paid-software/flashfire-t3075433
- (C) 2016
- Archives: TAR: Fix MD5 warning if no MD5 signature found
- Archives: Added option to ignore MD5 mismatch
- Archives: Added support for Huawei Bootloader packed image format
- Archives: Added support for MSM89xx Bootloader packed image format
- Archives: Added support for Motorola Bootloader packed image format
- Updated embedded SuperSU version to v2.67-3 - Root must be SuperSU or (CM SU + Permissive)
- EverRoot: Enable on boot image modification, if currently systemless
- Firmware: Display partitions in the correct order
- UpdateZIP/OTA: Support progress bars
- UpdateZIP/OTA: Fix several issues with flashing Omni/CM
- OTA: Work-around apply_patch freeze
- OTA: Detect downloaded OTA and suggest flashing
- Partitions: Added various partitions
- M: Fix clear cache not working fully
- M: Update partition detection
- M: Toybox compatibility
- M: Fixed native graphics library
- M: Fixed sdcard mounting
- M: Relocate systemless SuperSU during setup
- M: Do not remove boot image backups and su image on wipe
- M: UpdateZIP/OTA: offer to restore boot and recovery image before flash
- L: UpdateZIP/OTA: mount /system, /vendor and /oem as r/o if unmodified
- L: Backups: Use RAW mode for unmodified /system, /vendor and /oem partitions
- Backups: Use RAW mode for partitions where the filesystem cannot be detected
Green Flower Media’s CEO and founder Max Simon wrote in an email. “As a media company that disseminates educational information, this feels very much like a First Amendment violation. We were 100% approved and compliant, and now they have decided to cancel our account just because they don’t ‘support’ the content of our media.”
- Waterford Institute of TechnologyApplied Computing, 1987 - 1992
- Paleo/primal/ancestral/clean diet and cooking
- Ingress (the game)
- As I see fit
- Confidence AnalyticsLab Analyst, 2015 - present
- Dynamic Harvest2015 - 2015
- Higher LeafSocial Media Manager, Shift Lead, 2015 - 2015
- RackspaceCommunity Manager, 2012 - 2014
- RackspaceManager, Product Operations, 2009 - 2012
- RackspaceEngineer, Product Operations, 2008 - 2009
- RackspaceLearning Development Specialist, 2007 - 2008
- Rackspace UKCulture Maven, 2005 - 2007
- Rackspace UKWindows Support Engineer, 2004 - 2005
The Basic Income Guarantee: what stands in its way?
BIG solves modern capitalism’s most fundamental problem: lack of demand.
ANALYSIS: The Adult Use of Marijuana Act is Legalization, Silicon Valley...
The Adult Use of Marijuana Act, now California's leading legalization law, bears the distinct fingerprints of tech valley culture all over i
America’s little-known ISIS: The fundamentalist Mormon sect that blends ...
You might remember the sordid tale of prophet-rapist Warren Jeffs, but you don't know about his vast crime empire
Defying Science And Common Sense, New York Bill Would Ban GMOs In Vaccines
In a bizarre juxtaposition of irrational fears, a New York State legislator has introduced a bill to ban GMOs in vaccines. The bill, NY AB 1
Protected: paedophile MPs and ‘prominent people’, say police | ExaroNews
One described himself as a contractor for the Met, rather than a police officer. Another identifies himself as having worked for “UK gov”, a
The System Isn't Going to Fix Itself—It's Time for Us to Police the Poli...
The system has failed us. Or perhaps it’s finally been given a chance to assert the truth we didn’t want to hear: black lives don’t matter a
Sarah-Jayne Blakemore: "The Teenager's Sense of Social Self" | Edge.org
The reason why that letter is nice is because it illustrates what's important to that girl at that particular moment in her life. Less impor
'The Evil Dead' Series From Sam Raimi Ordered By Starz, Bruce Campbell S...
The Evil Dead movie franchise has officially crossed over to television with a 10-episode straight-to-series order from Starz for a 2015 pre
FuturistSpeaker.com – A Study of Future Trends and Predictions by Futuri...
In 2004, scientists Andre Geim and Kostya Novoselov from the University of Manchester, used adhesive tape to lift a thin layer of carbon fro
Kent City Council votes to ban recreational marijuana businesses - Kent ...
The Kent City Council voted 5-2 to keep all recreational marijuana businesses out of town.
'Gamers' don't have to be your audience. 'Gamers' are over.
'Game culture' as we know it is kind of embarrassing -- it’s not even culture. It’s buying things, spackling over memes and in-jokes repeate
First close loop system that can adjust spinal cord signals in real time...
Science Translational Medicine - Closed-loop neuromodulation of spinal sensorimotor circuits controls refined locomotion after complete spin