Need to save every penny now to go there
So how do a bunch of unskilled n00bs put together a house that doesn't fall apart when you open the front door? Think of it like putting together a model plane from a punch-out cardboard sheet. 350 panels of a product called SmartPly—essentially, a humidity-resistant particle board—are cut into numbered pieces using a CNC mill:
When I came downstairs this morning, Peo was doing Algebra on for fun. She's also obsessed with ' string theory song (which she has memorized, of course) and has been reading Wikipedia to learn about Kahler manifolds.
So I said, "Are you going to be a theoretical physicist now?"
She didn't turn from the screen as she said, "Hm?"
"Are you going to be a theoretical physicist? I think they sit around all day thinking about math and space and science and stuff, and get paid for it."
Her brow furrowed. "Um, I don't need to get paid for it."
"Peo, if you're doing it as a career, you should get paid for it."
"Nah, that's okay."
"'Nah' you don't want to do theoretical physics or 'nah' you don't want to get paid?"
She said, "I want to pay me to send a rover to Europa." Then she added in that omg-desperate-for-all-the-science-things tone, "I mean I HAVE TO CHECK IF THERE ARE ANY SIGNS OF LIFE THERE!"
I said, "Maybe you can do both. I bet NASA hires theoretical physicists too."
She said, "Nah, I only want to do the theoretical physics part for fun, not pay."
Then Corran came in and I reiterated the conversation for him, adding, "She doesn't want to get paid because she hasn't been a grad student yet."
Corran explained to her that theoretical physicists should get paid and that sometimes you only get to be a grad student in it if you're intending to get a job doing it afterwards.
I asked her, "Is there a problem with being paid for it? Do you feel like you can't have it as a hobby if you get paid for it?"
And she said, "Yeah."
So I said, "Look, Peo, you can have a job that you love so much that it's like you're sitting around playing with your hobby all of the time and then WHOOPS at the end of every week or month or whatever a bunch of money shows up in your account and then you can have rent and food. That's pretty much the best way to live as an adult."
Her eyes opened wide and she nodded as she said, "Okay, I'll mainly be sending rovers to Europa but then do theoretical physics for fun too."
I also told her as she's working out learning what all of the terms mean in the string theory song, she should write a book called, "Theoretical Physics for Kids."
She asked, "Would anyone read that book?"
I asked, "Wouldn't you?"
"Oh yeah! I wish it already existed!"
"Peo, when nobody is writing the books you want, write them yourself. That's what I did with Finding Gaia. You do it with physics. Everybody can be happy."
Now let's see if we can get her to actually complete a project...
Links I'm giving to Peo (I have no idea if they're accurate or not, this is way over my head):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeomorphism (she already knows this word a bit because of 's song "Topologically Speaking" http://www.amazon.com/Topologically-Speaking/dp/B0012K68MQ)
I figure that should keep her busy for the morning. :p
- RealityLife, 1983 - present
- Macromedia Akademie für neue MedienMediadesigner Web, 2000 - 2002
- Gymnasium Puchheim1993 - 1999
- Gymnasium Rasso Fürstenfeldbruck1999 - 2000
- Grundschule Eichenau1990 - 1992
- Kingdom Rush Frontiers
- ALL3DP.comCommunity Manager, 2014 - presentFor a new news portal about 3dPrinting for B2C i am working as a part time Community Manager / Social Media Growth Hacker
- 3dDinge.deCEO, 2012 - presentI am CEO of a small 3d Printing Service/Reseller Startup in Munich, Germany called 3dDinge (3dThings). We provide Service around FDM 3d Printing, sell materials and a small handpicked collection of 3d Printers.
- BörseGo AGIncident Manager, 2010 - present
- GameCamp MunichOrga, 2009 - 2013
- GTUG MunichLeader, 2009 - 2012
- Makible LtdCommunity Manager, 2012 - 2013I was the Community Manager of Makible LTD, producer of the Makibox 3d Printer, most affordable Desktop 3d Printer
- GTUG WorldwideAdmin, 2011 - 2012
- GTUG GermanySpeaker, 2011 - 2012
- BarCamp MunichOrga, 2008 - 2011
- Bigmouthmedia GmbHSenior Technical Consultant, 2008 - 2010
- Design Aspekt GbRWeb Developer, 2006 - 2008
- Commedia GmbHEditor, 2004 - 2006
- Ontime Data AGDeveloper, 2002 - 2002
- Global Media ApplicationsWebDeveloper, 2002 - 2003
- DevDusk MunichOrga, 2008 - 2009
- CloudCamp MunichOrga, 2011 - 2011
Why China won’t listen to Western scientists about genetically modifying...
The philosophical clash of cultures may prove to be a problem.
3D Printing Beginner Wows With Iron Man MK 42 Prototype
James Christianson is a filmmaker, animator, and artist. His fascination with the potential of 3D printing led him to create an Iron Man MK
Will These Giant Robots Do Battle? American MegaBot Challenges Japan’s K...
In a YouTube video worthy of Don King, the makers of MegaBot just challenged Japan’s Kuratas to combat—a battle between two giant robots.
LonDIN- London's Digital Inclusion Network by James Dellow — Kickstarter
James Dellow is raising funds for LonDIN- London's Digital Inclusion Network on Kickstarter! Where young people get to Discover, Make & Crea
HubSpot ist die weltgrößte Marketing und Vertriebs Plattform mit über 10.000 Kunden in 65 Ländern weltweit. HubSpot's Software ermöglicht es Ihnen Inbound Marketing und Lead Generierung in einfacher Weise umzusetzen. Mit unserer Software wird Ihr Marketing persönlicher und Ihre Kunden glücklicher.
Download Starcraft KERRIGAN statue by Francesco Orrù - MyMiniFactory.com
Finally I'm able to show you my last project, a replica of the Blizzard statue of Kerrigan, the Zerg queen. I've sculpted this piece entir
BE MAKER! KIT plus FREE lessons on electronics, from Zero to Internet of...
After the incredible success of my first campaign, I want to change the way people learn electronics; this is for EVERYONE! | Crowdfunding i
Open Source Stories Penn Manor: The power of open in education : Red Hat...
Learn, network, and experience open source at the Red Hat Summit.