The first episode of For Immediate Release -- with special guests Gini Dietrich and Frank Eliason -- is ready for your listening pleasure.
Our panel this week includes Gini Dietrich, CEO of Arment-Dietrich, a Chicago-based public relations agency, and Frank Eliason, innovator of the Comcast Cares social media customer service program and former head of social media at Citi.
Today’s conversation addressed these stories:
* Josh Bernoff’s follow-up post to the blog-based conversation he and Augie Ray had about how close to death social media marketing is.
* Edelman has announced it will no longer work with coal-producing companies or any company that promote denial of climate change. Was this a PR move or is there substance behind the policy?
* Live streaming video is heating up, with new players from Facebook (with Facebook Live) to startup Blab, which one thought leader believes could overtake Periscope and Meerkat.
* Dan York’s Tech Report covers the release of the Wirecast Go beta, Skype’s outage and implications for business, and a broader discussion of the “messaging wars.”
* Google and Twitter are partnering to take on Facebook Instant Articles and Apple News.
* Some journalists are now balking at producing content for brands’ content marketing program.
* Mark Zuckerberg believes Virtual Reality could one day connect everyone in the world in a fully immersive, 3D environment, while Satya Nadella said the Augmented Reality product Microsoft is working on — HoloLens — will first have an impact in the enterprise where once you use it, you can never go back.
* Some companies — like Target, Southwest Airlines, and Amazon.com — are scoring viral hits with content foduced by front-line employees. Is this a sustainable model for other companies?
* Uber has produced a print publication, following in the footsteps of Airbnb. Does print still matter?
* Social media changes politics forever in Scotland where the YES campaign attracted 45% of the vote despite virtually no supportive coverage from mainstream media. What can that tell us about social media in the current U.S. presidential campaign?
What a great debut to the new FIR podcast! Great panel, great discussions. Bodes well for future episodes.
Subscribed, obvs :)
- there's a podcasting renaissance
- recognising the importance of "purposeful" podcasting is totally crucial
- it's a long form PR and social comms technique
- experimentation and finding your voice and style is also key
- Do what comes naturally, be expressive, we want real people podcasting not over composed corporate blah blah ...
- def don't be obsessed about generating volume ratings /CTR sake of it
- Don't get brand sponsorship spammy ... its a major turnoff
- In Germany, UK, Hong Kong, India, the World Wide WebFormal education in geographies, the really cool stuff online.
I'm an entrepreneurial communications professional based in the UK, with a curiosity for tech and how people use it. An early adopter (and leaver) and experimenter with social media. Blogger at NevilleHobson.com. Co-host of the weekly business podcast For Immediate Release: The Hobson and Holtz Report.
[ More: http://www.nevillehobson.com/about/ ]
- NevilleHobson.comCommunicator, 2004 - present
- For Immediate ReleaseCo-Host, 2004 - present
Google Inc. Announces Second Quarter 2015 Results – Investor Relations –...
Revenues of $17.7 billion and revenue growth of 11% year over year; constant currency revenue growth of 18% year over year; Strong performan
Security flaw puts all Internet Explorer users at risk, exposes Windows XP
If you're still using a 12-year-old operating system, a new security flaw discovered in Internet Explorer should cause you quite a bit of co
Developing a content marketing mindset – five skills to master
It's not enough to start up a content marketing department: these skills and principles must permeate the entire organisation
Google may implement Ultrasonic Password Security for your accounts
SlickLogin acquired by Google and may implement Ultrasonic Password Security for your accounts.
VideoDownloadConverter, the must-have toolbar for video fanatics
Video Download Converter, download and view popular clips, TV shows, movie trailers, music videos and more
Interactive: This Is How Much Money Twitter Owes You | TIME.com
Want to know if your Twitter feed produces enough value to retire? Enter your username to find out
Facebook Axes The Iconic 'Thumbs Up' From Its Like Button
Facebook redesigns Like logo, ditches the thumbs up.
Talking social internal communication at #smwSMILE
Social Media Week London starts next week, on Monday September 23. Hosted by Chinwag, the week-long event - part of the global SMW event tak
The Hobson and Holtz Report - Podcast #721: September 16, 2013
Intro: FIR mobile app for Windows Phone now in the Windows App Store, Michael Procopio interview with Chris Muccio is up, introducing "FIR o
FIR Interview: Chris Muccio, author, 42 Rules for 24-Hour Success on Lin...
LinkedIn is, arguably, the premier social network for business-to-business (B2B). Over 200 million people have profiles on LinkedIn, but mos
Twitter takes control of its story as it prepares for an IPO
The days when you heard about a company's plans for a stock market flotation via a newspaper report or a TV or radio news item are now so mu
Disney brings the second-screen experience to the movies
The advent of mobile devices - especially tablets - has changed people's behaviours in how we access, consume and share information across m
Google makes it easier for people to find and amplify trusted content
Of two new Google+ features announced yesterday by Google - authorship attribution and embedding posts - the latter caught my imagination st
The Hobson and Holtz Report - Podcast #720: September 9, 2013
Intro: FIR Interview with Craig Jolley on marketing automation is up, FIR Book Review coming from Michael Procopio and Chris Muccio; we're r
Google+ Launches Embeds, Starts To Highlight WordPress.com And TypePad A...
Starting today, Google+ users will be able to embed their posts anywhere on the web. The new feature provides its users with the code needed