I wrote up my impressions after using a Mac for a couple of weeks.
one plus one
Shared publicly•View activity
View 15 previous comments
- Which Mac did you get, by the way?Aug 19, 2011
- Re: the compilation album issue, you can arrange stuff by 'Album Artist', which for compilation albums I usually set to '> Compilation' (with the >, so it appears at the top of the list). IIRC iPods (and presumably iPhones) allow you to sort the music list on them by Album Artist instead of just Artist.
This is all fine, of course, assuming your files have the Album Artist field filled in. Bit of a pain if not.Aug 19, 2011
- Great blog post. Mirrored my experience almost exactly. Started with Macs in 1985, switched to PCs in 1996, and have been on a glorious MacBook Air for the past year. Best laptop ever, with a few minor annoyances. Loved the comment about volume keys that actually work.Aug 19, 2011
- About the only aspect of Windows Explorer I miss for file management is the ability to cut/paste files & folders, rather than just copy/paste them.
Oh, if you haven't noticed, some of the unixy keyboard shortcuts you might be used to when navigating or editing text, like ^a, ^e and ^t are available in application and system text-entry areas, including, but not limited to the bash shell.Aug 19, 2011
- Skitch has been acquired by Evernote (which is a way cool thing) and has an Android version as well. It is now free (Evernote is a freemium deal), I would expect Skitch to go cross platform, or to be integrated with Evernote at some point. http://blog.evernote.com/2011/08/18/evernote-acquires-skitch-evernote_etc/Aug 19, 2011
- Ever since the Mac App store came out, I've moved almost all my app installs to that, and that finally gets rid of the stupid download, mount, drag, delete, unmount tediousness. I've found about 50% of the apps I used on my last system are in the Mac App Store and I just purchased/downloaded them there on my new clean iMac.Aug 19, 2011